Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  And Then There Were None

Posted 08-03-2019 10:33
    We are performing AND THEN THERE WERE NONE in September.  We'd like to do the ending in which everyone dies.  I don't know how to do the hanging scene.  Has anyone else done the show with this ending?  How did you handle the hanging?

------------------------------
    Rebecca Reisert
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: And Then There Were None

Posted 08-04-2019 10:34
    Hi Rebecca,

We did that ending as well, it's far more effective than the "happy" ending. We had our actress stand on a chair, put the noose around her neck (it was very lightly attached, it could not have hurt her), and then we blacked out that side of the stage and cut the music abruptly. The audience understood what happened, there was no need to dramatize it in a more "realistic" fashion.

Good luck with your production!

scott

Scott Harris
    Theatre Director
    Mamaroneck NY

• 3.  RE: And Then There Were None

Posted 08-05-2019 08:43
    I also remember someone doing a production where there was just a noose dramatically lit from behind as the actor walked towards it in shadow...then blackout.

--
    Lindsay Shields
    NY Chapter Director Educational Theatre Association Fort Hamilton High School
    mobile: 917.952.4559
    site: www.actingpolitical.com
    email: lindsay.m.shields@gmail.com
    address: 76 Saint James Place Apt. 1A, Brooklyn, NY 11238
    Create your own signature

• 4.  RE: And Then There Were None

Posted 08-06-2019 09:43
    Thank you so much.

Rebecca Reisert
    St. Xavier High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: And Then There Were None

Posted 08-04-2019 11:36
    Our community theater group did it a couple of years ago (great choice by the way). I don't remember exactly how we did the hanging. But I know we didn't show anything. I think we just did it with sound effects. Showed the actor with a noose walking off stage so it was obvious what happened.

Christina Iman
    Teacher
    Ripley WV

• 6.  RE: And Then There Were None

Posted 08-06-2019 09:44
    Thank you for sharing this.

Rebecca Reisert
    St. Xavier High School
    Louisville KY

• 7.  RE: And Then There Were None

Posted 08-05-2019 12:15

We did like another poster said:  Had the actor stand on a chair and then put the noose around her neck.  She stood there as Wargrave went offstage.  She was back and top lit, no front or side light.  The gunshot goes and she drops the figure in silhouette.

The key safety factor is in the noose knot design.  Here is a short description of how we made a SAFE noose for theatre use:

We made our noose using 1" (or 1 1/4") diameter hemp rope.   I tied a real noose.  Then I put epoxy on the knot - you do not want any on the rope that slides through as it still needs to move freely.  Epoxy the heck out of the knot, every turn.  The final goal of the epoxy is that the knot should remain whole, even if the rest of the rope is cutaway (which is the next step).

Next, look at the loop of rope (the part that goes around the neck).  You want the cut the side that is solid (not the side that slides through the knot).  If you did a good job with the epoxy, the know will be solid and stay in place.  Gaff tape the end of the rope you just cut.  Now, you should be able to slip it back inside the knot and the tension of the knot will hold it in place.  It will look 100% real.  But if the actor puts any tension on the loop itself (falls off the chair, gets the loop too tight) the cut end of the loop will slip out of the knot and just fall away.

If you need more detail, PM me and I would be happy to help.

Jeremy Riggs

• 8.  RE: And Then There Were None

Posted 08-06-2019 03:58
    I haven’t done this particular show, but this spring, we did “Jesus Christ Superstar.” For Judas’s suicide, we had some cotton material twisted tightly and then one of our three Eagle Scouts tied a slip knot. Judas “finds” the noose while she’s on a tall platform while there is a projection of a tree on the cyc. She puts the noose on, pulls the knot in (but leaving a good amount of slack). One of our sneaky stagehands opened the “gate” we made in the safety rail. She holds the end of the noose in her hand, raises her arm straight up, and steps off the platform onto foam padding behind the stage. In the moment that she hits the stage, the band played the final note of the moment (they were within her sight line back there, so they could time it right) and the cyc went to black.

I wanted to make it very clear to the audience that there was no chance that she could actually get hurt. I didn’t want to take them out of such a heart-wrenching moment by thinking “I wonder if Maddy’s okay?”

• 9.  RE: And Then There Were None

Posted 08-06-2019 09:50
    Thanks so much for this details.  We'll give it a try.

Rebecca Reisert
    St. Xavier High School
    Louisville KY

• 10.  RE: And Then There Were None

Posted 08-06-2019 09:51
    Thanks for sharing the details of this.  We'll try this out.

Rebecca Reisert
    St. Xavier High School
    Louisville KY