Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  One Act Play Suggestions

Posted 07-29-2017 08:44
    I'm trying something new. At my high school, we have a huge musical in the spring and a variety show in the fall. This year, I'm going to try to replace the variety show (which has turned into a singing competition) with 2-3 one act plays (depending on length). What one acts (comedy or drama) would you suggest? I have males and females to cast. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

---------------------------------
    Bethany Holt

Wynne AR
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: One Act Play Suggestions

Posted 07-30-2017 11:24
    We do a one-act every year for competition and have had lots of success mainly because the one-acts I chose were well liked with great scripts.  Both the Greek Mythology Olympiaganza and the Brothers Grimm spectacularhon by Don Zolidis (available at Playscripts) are fun.  We took the Brothers Grimm to International Festival a few years ago.  We've also won the state one act championship with The True Stories of the Not So Big Bad Wolves (available at Heuer) and 10 Reasons You Shoukd Have Stayed Home Sick Today (available at Playscripts).  We also have done some dramatic one acts my favorite was Rachel Cory (available at Heuer).  All of these have casts of about 12 or more and most can arrange the males and females as you see fit.

------------------------------
    Richard Gremel
    Theatre Teacher
    Tucson AZ

• 3.  RE: One Act Play Suggestions

Posted 07-31-2017 11:06
    I concur that Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon was a lot of fun for my kids. Other options that we liked were:

Booby Trap by Ed Monk (dramatic)
    11 Variations of Friar John's Failure by Yuri Baranovski (comedic)
    Anna and August by Don Zolidis (comedic)
    3 A.M. by Jonathon Dorf (Dramedy)
    I Dream Before I Take the Stand by Arlene Hutton (VERY dramatic) - 2 person cast
    A Rare Condition by Alan Haehnel (dramatic)
    The Very Unmerry Adventures of Robin Hood by Patrick Greene and Jason Pizzarello - (comedic)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: One Act Play Suggestions

Posted 07-30-2017 19:34
    Once Upon a Playground is one I always suggest for mostly females (2 men). Great script about bullying.
    The Cagebirds is another fav of mine.
    Just directed The Last Illusion. Also great.
    The Children's Story! 
    We do two one acts every spring. Usually a drama and a comedy.

Benjamin Sims
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Union County Public Schools
    Indian Trail NC

Author of Before Dorothy, based on the characters of L. Frank Baum.

• 5.  RE: One Act Play Suggestions

Posted 07-31-2017 10:42
    We took "The Other Room" by Ariadne Blayde to the International Thespian Festival in 2015. Available through Playscripts. "The Last Illusion" was great, too, but you'll need to build the illusions.

Tim Buchheit
    Director of Theatre and Speech
    St. Francis Borgia Regional High School
    Washington MO