Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

• 1.  Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-13-2014 20:31

Did you find it a good show for high school? 
    -------------------------------------------
    Tracey Buot
    Drama Director
    Atlanta GA

• 2.  The Boyfriend!

Posted 05-14-2014 07:29
    Its a great show -- lots of "lead" parts. Singers for Polly and Tony are needed, but everyone else can be quirky and more "character-like" than vocally accurate. Plus kids love to dance the charleston! (sp?) Maisie and Bobby should be dancers
    I have done it several times and never regretted choosing it. Don't be afraid to be camp and corny -- the audience loves it!
    I met my wife 39 years ago when I was directing this in college. She played Hortense (the maid). My brother played banjo in the pit (he was 16). It was an amazing show and lots of fun. When I did this show here at our middle school, my brother flew in from California to play banjo again!. We won several awards for this production.
    Don't hesitate - let your kids know how crazy fun this one can be!!

Ron Wells
    Summit, NJ

• 3.  RE:Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-14-2014 08:19
    I directed The Boy Friend, however, it was 12 years ago, and for a forty five minute play festival. Could show down like that made it an excellent show, but I don't think doing the entire three at musical would be wise. As a matter of fact, one of our local theater companies produced the show a couple of years before I arrived in Charlotte and their executive director told me that the company "lost their effing shirt doing that effing old a.. show!" So she gave me all the costumes from it! ------------------------------------------- Corey Mitchell Northwest School of the Arts Charlotte NC -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE:Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-15-2014 09:45
    I directed The Boyfriend five years ago.  I thought it would be ideal for us, with all the good female roles. The show itself was went well; energetic, great songs, a wonderful chance for the dancers to use their tap experience, etc.  However, it is dated and wasn't very popular; we didn't make a lot on the show. The sequence "It's Never Too Late," where an older man is making eyes at a young girl, is awkward to say the least; I wouldn't do the show again.  

Kathleen Herb-Baker
    San Diego CA

• 5.  RE:Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-14-2014 10:23
    We did The Boyfriend about 8 years ago.  Initially, based on the script and the movie with Twiggy (which holds very little similarity to the stage play) there was a negative reaction amongst the tech staff and the choreographer.--But, they all grew to love it, as did the kids.  (When I announced it, I told them NOT to watch the movie.)  It's absolutely great for the kids if you emphasize the era which it is satirizing and play up the campiness of it.  The only big challenge is the dancing--The Riviera dance number tempo is fast, and is awesome if they can tap--but we did tap moves without the tap shoes and it worked really, really well.  It's one of my favorite shows. Hope this helps.

Holly Thompson
    Columbus, OH

• 6.  RE:Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-15-2014 08:24
    I agree that it is a great high school show, if you play up the satire.  Lots of good roles to go around, fun dances... Have fun with it.

Ann Johnson
    Milwaukee WI

• 7.  RE:Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-16-2014 07:52
    I costumed designed it once. It was very cute for younger actors and a satire. 

Kala Cookendorfer
    Speech and Drama Teacher
    Morehead KY

• 8.  RE: Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-17-2014 09:03
    I've done it twice. It's a great show for any level. You can have a lot of fun with it. The last time I had a boy play Tony's mom in drag...stole the show! I agree that the movie version is bizarre. The movier version of Thoroughly Modern Millie captures more of the appropriate style. There's even similarities to the big dance number the Rivera to one (I can't think of what they call it) in Millie. Go for it! ------------------------------------------- Garry Tiller Performing Arts Department Chair Baltimore County Public Schools Baltimore MD -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-16-2014 22:32
    I directed this show three years ago, and it was a blast!  I keep debating whether to do its sequel, which is "Divorce Me, Darling". I haven't gotten a senior class to take it on yet, so it probably won't happen.  The students loved the show, and it's built so that it can accommodate a large cast.

Charles McMeekin
    Sharon VT

• 10.  RE:Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-16-2014 14:41
    The Boyfriend was the first theatrical production I was in, back in the spring of 1994. 

There was some interesting aspects to it, but none I really appreciated until I actually live in Bloomsbury Sq. Gardens in London when I was in college. I could never get past the irony of "A Room in Bloomsbury."

But, even in 1994, we didn't really enjoy the show. Like others said, it was dated, many people didn't understand it all. I remember my father asking me, "What's a tinterhook?" when there was the line by one of the girls, "We have them all on tinterhooks."

Personally, and having been in the show, it's not one that draws a big crowd and has been my least favorite to ever see or to be in.

I hope this helps.

Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron, IN

• 11.  RE: Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-17-2014 16:06
    We just completed our run & it was great! I also was in it in college & it went well there, as well. Lots of leads and lots of dance. We put taps on the kids with the most experience and character shoes sans taps on those who were less experienced. Kept the sets simple and had the kids make their own masks for act 3 from blanks on a Saturday workshop. I have pix if you'd like some. ------------------------------------------- Patti Wade teacher/director Snohomish School District #201 Snohomish WA -------------------------------------------

• 12.  RE: Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-18-2014 14:37
    Patti-- I would love to see your pictures!

Tracey Buot
    Drama Director
    Atlanta GA

• 13.  RE: Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-19-2014 12:26

Pictures would be great!
    Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Phoenix High School

• 14.  RE: Anybody ever direct The Boyfriend?

Posted 05-20-2014 08:35
    Hi Sonja, 
    I directed The Boyfriend about 10 years ago and it was great. The kids had a ball with the costumes and make -up, and the dancing. Sets were simple and worked well. Our stage is small, so we keep the sets simple to accommodate the chorus. The audience didn't know the show and they loved it. We had a bigger audience each night because word got out how much fun it was!
    Hope you give t a try!
    Tina Tutt
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin TN