Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ITF Registration Panic

Posted 04-16-2019 09:54
    Hi there,

I posted this to the ITF forums, but this one gets more activity, so I'm hoping someone might have some ideas. I'm looking for advice but thusfar no one at ITF has been able to provide any.

I had 9 kids qualify for festival this summer. I have registered them, but have not paid yet. As many of you probably know, it takes a lot to plan a trip like this. I'm not from a wealthy district, so it was a lot of fundraising, getting assistance from the school, and collecting donations to ensure that we could go.

I began work on it as soon as my kids qualified in February, but even so, I was only able to submit paperwork for the check on April 9. It takes a few days for a check to turn around, and the check had not yet been sent when my district went on spring break on Friday. This means that, at the earliest, the check will be back April 22, and I can overnight it to be there by April 23. Nancy Brown has said that ITF will probably be sold out at that time, but didn't offer any other information.

What should I do? Will there be a waitlist? Should I try to get on it?

Also, can someone explain why they changed to making registration contingent on payment instead of registration order, the way it was last year? Last year, as I recall, space was based on registration, and then as long as you had your payment in by May 1, you were good. Making registration contingent on who pays first seems to favor wealthier districts who have the money already or who can get it from the kids.

Mostly, I would hate to disappoint my students who have worked so hard to qualify for festival, some of whom will never have another chance to attend. Any advice that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Kathleen Pennyway
    Theatre Teacher, Dreher High School
    Columbia, SC

• 2.  RE: ITF Registration Panic

Posted 04-17-2019 08:19
    Registration and payment have always been required to consider your process complete - and seating assignments for mainstage productions in the Lied are based on the date when BOTH are submitted.

Going back several years,  I had small groups, and I would just do the registration for 2-3 of us on my personal credit card.  The district didn't like that - so the next year, I requested a check.  When I did the credit card payment, we had great seats down in front... the year I requested the check, we were up in the balcony.  (And that was before the 2-track system, where if you were even later in registering, your seats all week were in the Kimball.) The only difference was that it took several weeks for the check to be cut, mailed and processed.  Still a small group, same timeline, etc.  So I think that this has really always been the case for past practice.

Now, I still handle all of the registration business personally - but I use the district business manager's credit card to process the payment.  I want to ensure that we are good-to-go (because the registration timeline is always during a crazy time for show production here) - and to do whatever I can to hopefully get good seats!  Although there really aren't any "bad" seats in the Lied - it's a beautiful theatre.

The move to Indiana for 2020 will help improve the travel part of the process for me, since I'm in PA.  It will be a 10 hour drive, rather than a flight - which should help to reduce our costs.   But registration should improve also, since it is a larger campus, from what I remember.

Either way, it is a fantastic week - so I hope that you'll be able to go! Fingers crossed that it works out!
    Missy

• 3.  RE: ITF Registration Panic

Posted 04-17-2019 09:37
    It actually has always been based on when actually pay, my first year attending Festival I registered early but had to wait on a grant to come through before I was able to pay. We paid AT the deadline and ended up in the last row of the Lied (but still was a great experience). Nancy Brown who you have already contacted is the best one to discuss this with, if you are communicating that the check is on the way I feel like they should honor your registration, does she know that the paperwork is submitted but that you are just waiting on the school district?

Emily Mokrycki
    Theatre Teacher
    Omaha Public Schools
    Omaha NE