Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for a film to pair with Othello.

Posted 11-06-2020 17:52
    Edited by Ginny Butsch 11-11-2020 08:43

I always like to "celebrate" finishing a book with my students and take a little break, but I like it to be worthwhile, too.

After Lord of the Flies, we watch Castaway. After Frankenstein, we watch Edward Scissorhands. I like it to be thematically related, but also a just a solid film in its own right to encourage discussion.

Any suggestions for Othello? Maybe something with the theme of jealousy or something with a really strong, manipulative villain???

------------------------------
    Kool Maikalson
    Newyork AK

• 2.  RE: Looking for a film to pair with Othello.

Posted 11-07-2020 06:54
    Good day, 

I am not sure what level this is for. I know that your film selection is not typically an adaptation, but I find Vishal Bhardwaj's work excellent. Omkara is his Othello adaptation. Alternatively, Disney's Aladdin? 

Have a great day, 
    Claire

Claire Federhofer
    Huron High School
    Ann Arbor MI

• 3.  RE: Looking for a film to pair with Othello.

Posted 11-07-2020 07:57

The obvious choice, of course, is Tim Blake Nelson's "O" starring Julia Stiles which is an Othello adaptation.

It would require some crafty editing (as it is sexually explicit) and the acceptance of some rough language, however, it's faithful and hard-wired for kids enduring the slings and arrows of the high school experience.

It's not Castaway or Edward Scissorhands but it's hard to find something PG-equivalent with the subject matter of Othello.

Hope this helps.

Stephen Benjamin
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Garfield Heights OH

• 4.  RE: Looking for a film to pair with Othello.

Posted 11-08-2020 18:30
    I like "O".
    You might want to preview for content before you share with kids.
    O (2001) - IMDb
    IMDb remove preview
    O (2001) - IMDb
    1 win & 1 nomination.
    View this on IMDb >

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher, Retired
    Northern Rep to the California Thespian State Board
    Carmichael, CA

• 5.  RE: Looking for a film to pair with Othello.

Posted 11-09-2020 15:35
    I concur with some of the other posts.  I like O.  I have used it when teaching Shakespeare in dual credit classes, and my students were all 17 and older.  It is explicit, but it resonates with high schoolers because it is set in a high school.  The plot elements are meant to mirror Othello, so the class discussion is fun.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS