Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Seeking suggestions for a shorter 45-60min, funny, minimal set requirements play for ages 9-14...what have you done/seen that you lived. Thanks

Posted 01-04-2015 21:53
    ------------------------------------------- Jilian Scott Glisson Englewood CO -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Seeking suggestions for a shorter 45-60min, funny, minimal set requirements play for ages 9-14...what have you done/seen that you lived. Thanks

Posted 01-05-2015 09:26
    At the risk of sounding redundant, I'm suggesting Jungalbook by Edward Mast. I have made this recommendation to others, but it is an exceptional work. It runs between 45-60 minutes, and will be exciting for both your performers and audience. It's fun and full of humor (mostly physical comedy), action, and heart. The best part is that casting is very flexible. I actually had two casts when I performed it. One was predominantly male, the other predominantly female. I've performed it with a simple set. I've performed it with just cubes. Imagination is your greatest set piece in this show. I included the link below.

http://www.dramaticpublishing.com/p2449/Jungalbook-%28Mast%29/product_info.html

-------------------------------------------
    Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY

• 3.  RE: Seeking suggestions for a shorter 45-60min, funny, minimal set requirements play for ages 9-14...what have you done/seen that you lived. Thanks

Posted 01-05-2015 11:08
    The Check Please series by Jonathan Rand is humorous.  I know they have been done to death in the schools, but if your school district hasn't seen them yet, they are sure to entertain.  There are an even number of male and females roles and all have potential for good character work to avoid stereotypes.

Amy Sidwell
    Director of Theatrical Arts
    Woodburn Arts and Communications Academy
    Canby OR

• 4.  RE: Seeking suggestions for a shorter 45-60min, funny, minimal set requirements play for ages 9-14...what have you done/seen that you lived. Thanks

Posted 01-05-2015 11:17
    I'd agree with the Check Please series as a strong option. Another thought might be The Idiot and the Oddity. It's been years since we did it, but it was well received. Another option might be to do 2-3 shorter scripts as an evening of one-acts. If you decied to go that way I'd recommend Math for Actors and Drugs Are Bad. My kids had fun doing both of the shows.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Seeking suggestions for a shorter 45-60min, funny, minimal set requirements play for ages 9-14...what have you done/seen that you lived. Thanks

Posted 01-05-2015 11:59
    Depending on the maturity of your students....
    There's a nice one by Don Zolidis called Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon.
    But it might be to mature. I've used it a few times.
    He has a few pieces that are like this where he uses fairytales or Greek
    Myths, etc.

Micheal Moll
    Blackfoot H.S. Idaho

No matter where you go, there you are!

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Shira Schwartz via Educational Theatre

• 6.  RE: Seeking suggestions for a shorter 45-60min, funny, minimal set requirements play for ages 9-14...what have you done/seen that you lived. Thanks

Posted 01-06-2015 07:29
    Any of The Princess Plays by Colleen Neuman.  They're well-crafted and fun to rehearse and all have flexible casts.  Her Ert's Wonderful Machine is also a good script for this age group.

Paige Brey
    Teacher
    Magnolia School
    Tallahassee FL

• 7.  RE: Seeking suggestions for a shorter 45-60min, funny, minimal set requirements play for ages 9-14...what have you done/seen that you lived. Thanks

Posted 01-07-2015 06:06
    I've done "15 Reasons Not to be in a Play" and "Homework Eats Dog and Other Tales of Woe" by Playscripts with my middle school students. 15 Reasons also has a "sequal" called 18 More Reasons Not to be in a Play that can be performed separately or you can get them together as one big show.

Lynda Gibson
    Jr. Troupe 88305
    Flushing MI

• 8.  RE: Seeking suggestions for a shorter 45-60min, funny, minimal set requirements play for ages 9-14...what have you done/seen that you lived. Thanks

Posted 01-07-2015 11:57

Just did Susan Zeder's 'Wiley and the Hairy Man.' No set, just your performers making trees, beds, chairs, everything else. Really, really fun, and gets performers out of themselves a little as they get to be the stereotypical Tree that everybody warned them they'd do if they took drama.

Have fun!

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL
    ------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Seeking suggestions for a shorter 45-60min, funny, minimal set requirements play for ages 9-14...what have you done/seen that you lived. Thanks

Posted 01-08-2015 00:42
    Have you checked out Theatrefolk? The website is super user friendly, and you can search by age, cast size, gender, etc. They also give away tons of free lesson plans & script downloads. Another good resource is Playscripts, Inc. ------------------------------ Juliette Beck Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director Albuquerque NM ------------------------------