Open Forum

View Only

do you teach a Shakespeare class?

• 1.  do you teach a Shakespeare class?

Posted 04-24-2018 18:52
    I am considering offering an elective in Shakespeare - does anyone teach that? It would be looking at plays from different genres, studying history of Elizabethan drama, sonnets, performing monologues and scenes, etc. I've taught this at the college level for many years; but IDK if it's something that HS students would embrace enthusiastically.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: do you teach a Shakespeare class?

Posted 04-24-2018 19:07
    While I don't teach a Shakespeare class as a part of my current teaching load (my independent K-12 school is small and has a new, but growing theatre program), I created and taught a high school conservatory-style extra-curricular and summer Shakespeare program, I teach a very popular unit as a part of current high school Intro class and I teach workshops and guest teach for my colleagues' history and English classes. Shakespeare is one of my favorite things to teach, especially with high school students.   I think that if your program is large enough to support the kinds of theatre electives/ special topics that you have discussed in another thread (*swoon* I am totally jealous btw), that Shakespeare will be a popular choice and great addition to your program.  Think about it as a Shakespeare "in production" class with design, devising, voice, acting, and directing, to widen the reach a bit to include performers, technical theatre folks, and your literature groupies. I have so many ideas about building a class like this (did I mention I'm jealous, and maybe living vicariously through you?) so if you want to chat, feel free to message me.

Elana Kepner
    Certified Assistant Teacher of Fitzmaurice Voicework
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 3.  RE: do you teach a Shakespeare class?

Posted 04-25-2018 10:00
    I teach a 6th grade Trimester Drama Class that is all Shakespeare.  We do short scenes, write creative monologues for the same characters as they performed in the scenes.  We design Elizabeathean costumes for those characters too.  The LOVE it!!!!   I have tons of suggestions for you.
    my direct email is trudy.wheeler@kcd.org

--
    Trudy Wheeler
    Kentucky Country Day School
    Middle School Drama Director

• 4.  RE: do you teach a Shakespeare class?

Posted 04-24-2018 19:11
    And, yes, I absolutely think you will have lots of takers.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 5.  RE: do you teach a Shakespeare class?

Posted 04-24-2018 23:55
    (Elana, I can't figure out how to message you!)

Ah, but there's the rub: my school is a very small, progressive, new high school that just opened two years ago and currently has only 130 students, with the number growing only to 200. I don't think we have enough students to support the kind of curriculum we are dreaming of! I think there will be so many interesting electives in literature, history, music, art, and theater that we will all be under-enrolled! TBH, the admin is trying to keep me by promising almost-full-time employment with these classes, but I am afraid it's not going to work out ... So I wanted to design a class that will draw the most students ... 

I'd love to hear some of your ideas! You can email me at athomas@sequoyahschool.org

Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 6.  RE: do you teach a Shakespeare class?

Posted 04-25-2018 07:55
    I have a Shakespeare class that does not have a lot of takers. One of the most fun things that I have ever done with Shakespeare, is a summer program that mashes scenes together and takes them on the road. If you need more info or would like to see some scripts, let me know, I would be happy to share.

Rebecca Black
    Teacher/Director
    Wayland MI

• 7.  RE: do you teach a Shakespeare class?

Posted 04-25-2018 09:00
      |   view attached
    Good Morning,

I teach a Works of William Shakespeare course. I took this class over from a retired ELA teacher after no one wanted to pick it up in the department. For the past two years I have had between 15 and 20 students per semester. Because of the content and the expectations (independent readings, original thesis writing, etc.) the course is only open to juniors and seniors. I have attached our basic syllabus if you would like to look at it.

Or here is a link to our website:
    https://www.waynesville.k12.mo.us/Page/1900

Charles Davis
    Teacher and Director
    Waynesville MO

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: do you teach a Shakespeare class?

Posted 04-25-2018 17:05
    ​Teaching Shakespeare in performance for high schools can sometimes be tricky. From my experience I try to find ways to make it accessible for all students from different backgrounds.
       I teach at a school that is predominately African American so I begin explaining why they should care and be interested:
    "There are a lot of events in the life of Shakespeare's characters that relate to the struggle of the African American. Characters like Shylock and Othello experience racism, jealousy, and a struggle for social justice. Other characters like Macbeth and Hamlet are often portrayed as African American in the multicultural revolution that is modern theatre arts. Not only can you perform Shakespeare, but your experiences make you exquisitely primed for this experience. You can be successful."
      The first piece of literature that we touch isn't Shakespeare at all, but rather Dream Deferred by Langston Hughes. Here we begin our text work. We choose operative words and color them with meaning and define the "explosion" that occurs at the end of the poem. We give the poem time and place and make it an experience, not just oral interpretation. It is after this experience that I get into iambic pentameter, feet, verse vs. prose, etc. But let's start with performance and interpretation of the author's intention.
      I've only been teaching three years, but I come from a professional performance background. Shakespeare is here to stay and malleable to fit the needs of the community. I run a Shakespeare in the Parks program with professional actors and employ my students when I can. If you want to be an actor, at some point you will face this language.

Christopher Dwyer
    Head of Drama
    Laurel MD

• 9.  RE: do you teach a Shakespeare class?

Posted 04-28-2018 20:15
    I teach Shakespeare both inside and outside of school: I run the Community Shakespeare Company on our rural island in Washington State for kids K-12, and also study one or two plays a year in middle school, using the adaptations I wrote for my own company (Community Shakespeare - Enriching Young Lives, Cultivating Community

In my experience, students of any age are wildly enthusiastic about Shakespeare so long as it is made accessible to them from the start. Hence my creation of original adaptations, which are a stepping stone to original text. My younger students begin with these, then rapidly progress to the original, which is now relatively easy to decipher. Once they have clue about the language - particularly using a comedy - then they love to read aloud and laugh at the great humor. They understand the plot points and can foresee the twists and turns. Start with something funny and do whatever it takes to make the language less intimidating. (My work is linked here FYI.)

Communityshakespeare remove preview
    Community Shakespeare - Enriching Young Lives, Cultivating Community
    Across the country and around the world, CSC scripts are being used by educators to introduce their students to Shakespeare, and even to the English language! Read what others have to say about the most user-friendly adaptations on the market, for students from elementary to high school.
    View this on Communityshakespeare >
    )

Richard Carter
    Author/Director: Community Shakespeare Company;
    MS/HS Teacher, Lopez Schools
    Lopez Island, WA

• 10.  RE: do you teach a Shakespeare class?

Posted 04-29-2018 19:59

Some years ago I created and taught a Shakespeare unit to my 8th and 9th grade Advanced Drama class at a junior high. They really enjoyed it! We started out with the very basics, learning iambic pentameter by stomping around the room, progressed through language and application, and then produced a 'one act' of Pyramus and Thisbe (because it had enough characters and is a self-contained story), which we performed for an audience of family members. We then – painstakingly – reduced it down to one minute(!) and performed it at a school assembly, where it was very well received. I shared the unit with a high school Drama teacher colleague of mine (now retired), and he went on to teach it for several years. I think kids get a satisfaction from learning Shakespeare, regardless of whether it's a unit or a year, and it sticks with them. I still remember soliloquies that I learned around that age!

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

NEW!
    ONLINE TECH COURSES FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS http://www.presett.org/techieacademy.html . A great summer project!

HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Summer session June 4th (half full, 4 spaces left). Fall session Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! http://www.presett.org/repplot.html

"HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 11.  RE: do you teach a Shakespeare class?

Posted 04-29-2018 23:37
    Hello Fellow Thespians/Sponsors,

I too have wanted to teach a Shakespeare class for years, but I'm not sure on how to word it so that it meets A-G requirements and receive the blessings of the UC gods and goddesses.  Anyone out there have an already approved program complete with nomenclature, course description and curriculum?

John W. Avatefi, Director,
    Montebello High School
    Theatre Productions Academy
    Montebello, CA.