Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Teaching in urban city high school

Posted 02-28-2016 15:18

Hello teachers. I need some advice please. I start substitute teaching Drama tomorrow in an urban city high school, and it could lead to a permanent job. It's a brand new department of all intro classes. I'm a veteran teacher & director and I've taught in similar situations but this is a tough school.  This year they've not had a real drama teacher, only substitute teachers so they're going to be a bit on the wild side I imagine. My classroom management is so-so. And of course I'll have no resources to speak of. The teaching location will be a regular classroom with little access to the school's auditorium. Anyone have advice on how to approach and teach there?

Thanks.

Mike Nangle

------------------------------
    Michael Nangle
    Mableton GA

• 2.  RE: Teaching in urban city high school

Posted 02-29-2016 05:55

You will do great!  One suggestion.  I subbed at for an English as a second languge class one time.  The kids were talking about gangs and other inappropiate things.  I was not thinking at the time, but later I wish that I had called security and gotten some help!  It was awful.  The school needs to know what is really going on.  It is not a reflection of your teaching if you report something.

Other ideas:  1) Improv. 2) Substituting one time I did a mock "American Idol" and the kids got up and sang...all of them! It was also a rough school. I had 3 judges, but I had some rules, they could only say positive things (no Simon sarcasm) no swearing or bad language.  It was really fun and the kids loved it.  I went first and they had fun with that.  Break a leg!

Corinne Walker
    Lyon, France

• 3.  RE: Teaching in urban city high school

Posted 02-29-2016 09:30

Hi,

One thing I would do is approach the class with a discussion of why theatre/drama is important to them on a personal level. I start my class with a powerpoint about the life/job related skills that drama class provides the student. I share the fact that many corporations now bring in improv workshops to provide their employees with the skills that improv can give them. (lots of articles on the internet) I tell them that after taking my class they can share with future employers the training they have received in my class and I encourage them to share the skills and training on their college application and essays. By demonstrating the value of the class, they may buy into the class in a way they have not previously. Each day (at least at the beginning) as I open the class with an activity I share the skill(s) that is the focus of the activity. Two other things that might help to retrain your students is to discuss the importance of a supportive environment (modeling positive attitude everyday - find something positive to say about every class presentation) have students share what they saw that was good about each performance, it may be the first time they have done a positive critique so be patient and help them find the way to look for the good in what they see, they have all had practice finding the negative. I ask the group "What worked in this scene/improv? What can they do to make it better?" (I also share with my kids that knowing how to critique something/someone in a productive manner is what make managers instead of fry cooks). With my student I have had to repeat a critique in an appropriate or more professional way to model the proper method. I also think that establishing the idea that making mistakes is okay in drama class is important, in fact it is encouraged as long as it is an earnest attempt to perform. Taking risks and making mistakes is not only something that is acceptable but encourage...it shows that a student is embracing the willingness to let go, take risks and have fun without worrying that they will look foolish - foolish can be great :) These are things we as teachers all know but sometimes forget to share with our students, but I have seen some of the shyest, educationally challenged, toughest, most apathetic kids respond positively once they see that drama classes are more than just fun classes, that they are in fact, perhaps one of the most important classes they can take.  

Good Luck!

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 4.  RE: Teaching in urban city high school

Posted 02-29-2016 19:46

Jeannie has some great advice.  I have found that talking about how acting is a life and job skill is very helpful.  

Here are a few other things that work in my urban school.

1.  I put drugs, alcohol, and cursing off limits in improvisation from the first day.  Scenes with those in them can escalate in a heartbeat.

2.  I have a routine to begin class that doesn't vary.  I number them off as soon as schedule changes stop happening, and we number off every single day.  A student can say, "She's absent" when another student doesn't call her number, but no one can call another's number. It is amazing how numbering off focuses a class.  Then we do a set of vocal warm-ups and a couple of physical warm-ups.  By that point, most of them are mentally in the classroom, no matter what happened earlier in the day.

3.  I have a collection of films that I use mainly when I am absent, because things can get ugly quickly with the wrong sub.  All but one of the films has one or more actors of color.  

Good luck.  Giving kids a safe place to be is one of the things I love most about this job.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Teaching in urban city high school

Posted 03-03-2016 14:53

Do a production-get into it asap. Understudy everything. A one act comedy would be good-something with vignettes is smart! Have the students create a poster, have them commit!! Sell them on the idea that there IS a show, no ifs and or buts! Set a date. Make sure the play is easy-stay away from musicals!! Keep an open mind and a good sense of humor.

Bryan Elsey
    Teacher
    Callander ON