Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Show politics

Posted 11-05-2015 14:56

I heard that there were a lot of politics involved in the audition process. Is that true?

------------------------------
    Michaella Hickey
    Myrtle Beach SC

• 2.  RE: Show politics

Posted 11-05-2015 18:43

<sounds of Phillip rolling on floor, laughing, then crying, then curling into fetal ball, sobbing>

It really depends on how you set it up. Are you a teacher or a student? Because the answer is yes, somehow, it can boil down to politics. Again, it depends on how the program is set up. I try to avoid it all costs. By politics, I will assume you mean that certain folks are cast for 'advantage' to the production, or whether their mom or dad is a skilled carpenter, or whether there are healthy donations given by certain parents, that sort of thing? If we're talking about that, then, no, those elements don't come into my audition process. Am I also assuming that by audition, you may be referring to casting, as well? 

I speak for myself, but I always try to cast fairly with a long view. Yes, the best person for this particular production applies for certain, but in my case I am also looking at certain other factors. Has the person under consideration for a role had a major role before? Is it time for someone else to get a 'lead' role (because there are no stars, and all that hat). So that might fit the bill for 'politics'...

casting/the audition process is just a really, really, really hard thing to do. 

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Show politics

Posted 11-05-2015 22:45

Hello Michaella!

I think just about anyone involved with theatre knows that there is probably no show where some element of politics has not played a role.  As Phillip indicated, I assume you refer to "politics" as the extraneous advantages some students have that make the casting procedures unfair in certain ways.  I have worked with directors who use an extremely fair perspective in casting and auditioning, and others who are highly biased based on these unfair factors.  Of course, those outside influences are sometimes critical to making a performance successful, which is why politics arise in the first place and are considered so often.  The balance is certainly difficult to obtain, but at least in my experience with high school theatre, the smaller the role politics plays in casting, the more enjoyable productions are for students and the more students want to be involved.

Grace Alt
    ITO Vice Chair
    Wyndmoor PA

• 4.  RE: Show politics

Posted 11-06-2015 06:55

Not sure what you mean by politics, but are other factors involved with the casting process other than the audition, then very much so yes.

I have cast people, in high school and professionally, because of many different items, some of which include: Height, ie too short or too tall, attitude, past experiences with the actor being a cause of drama, missed rehearsals, grades,and generally being easy to work with the list goes on.

If you mean can someone suck up to me or pay for a role then no.

So many things go into a casting decision including the majority the Actor has zero control over, so control what you can.  Follow directions, including being on time and being quiet during rehearsals. Learn your lines/blocking/songs/dances quickly, and perfectly.Be at least pleasant to work with, cause little to no drama. People gain reputations quickly in this business and a good or bad reputation will normally arrive way before you even get to your audition.

I hope this helps.

Greg Alldredge
    Head Director
    Cypress TX

• 5.  RE: Show politics

Posted 11-06-2015 09:20

The answer is yes, but less so than your cast will always assume.

For example, a lot of what the students might consider "playing favorites" is more along the lines of my valuing of a Known Quantity.  If I've worked with the student in a smaller role on another show and they were prepared and positive, then of COURSE they have an advantage in casting.  Likewise if a student has been irresponsible in the past, the audition needs to be a LOT better for me to risk casting them.  I also have students in my program whom I know don't audition well.  I've worked with them before, and I know that they are better in performance than in a cold reading, so I keep that in mind.  And then, of course, there are the wild card considerations -- you can be awesome, but if you don't have chemistry with the rest of the cast, then you're not right for the role.  And whenever the play has different ages, you have to think about how young or old high school actors can play.

As for parents who donate time, skills, or cold hard cash: the better set of them are satisfied so long as their child is cast at ALL, and since I always make sure every person who auditions has a part, I haven't had too much trouble with that.  The others are just barely worth tolerating, depending on their skill set.  Never worth tolerating for the money.

Katy Mulvaney
    Houston TX

• 6.  RE: Show politics

Posted 11-06-2015 11:42

This is such a sticky issue however you look at it. I don't believe there is any way to avoid having some political influence in anything. That being said, I cast my shows based on the current audition in front of me unless there is a pressing reason to make an exception for a specific student. I always begin my cattle call auditions with a talk about what the process will be like, what it means if you aren't called back, the fact that I am looking for the best CAST overall and that may mean a great audition won't land you a "good" (or any part), and that anyone may come to me after auditions are over to request specific notes. The only limitation on this is that I will not answer any questions unless the cast has been announced and the student must come ask me individually. I don't tell parents or friends. It must be a direct request from the individual.

The only exceptions I have to this rule is when a student starts getting arrogant and begins assuming, or stating, that they deserve "this" part in a show. I think it's very important for them to get that idea out of their heads before they head out into university or professional life. That sort of reputation spreads really quickly and is incredibly difficult to repair. The other time I will not cast a student, in spite of a good audition, is if they are a problem to work with in the past show. If a student is defiant or doesn't follow through on their responsibility I will not cast them in the next performance under any circumstance. He or she will have to spend the time re-earning my trust. I have never had a student suffer this punishment for longer than a single production. It seems to deliver the message. And I'm really blunt about the reason (s)he wasn't cast. I've told kids not to bother to audition because I won't even call them up to read (although that's only happened when I specifically said not to do something and was ignored). 

I don't think there will ever be a "right" answer to this issue. The best we can do is plug along, make our decisions based on specific reasoning, keep documentation of the reasoning, and know that we're exposing the students to the "real world". I've rarely had a kid whose parents caused such a fuss that I had to deal with it for more than a day or two; and since I always open tech positions to the club (after my stagecraft class) before it is open to the rest of the school it provides a different type of opportunity for the kids to be involved. I've found more than one amazing techie this way. :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE:Show politics

Posted 11-09-2015 21:26
    I agree with Phil that it depends on the director.

The director before me was there 20 years and played favorites based on parent involvement, years with the musical and just plain liking or disliking people. They hosted closed auditions. No one respected the program because everything was pretty much pre-cast. There weren't even callbacks.

When I took over I vowed to only give roles to the best people, plus I opened the auditions. I never think of how long I have had someone in the show. I only think of who can play the role the best. I also clean the slate every year and try to give everyone a fair chance based on audition only. This is extremely difficult BUT I think it has gained me some respect with my students. They know that I am ethical and that I don't play favorites. I have built a successful theatre program this way. I can't say it has been easy, but it has been worth it.

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------