Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Challenging and different play

Posted 08-07-2018 17:49
    Hi everyone!

I am looking for a play to do with HS students. Something that is challenging and out of this world! Something interesting for the audience and not typical... 
    any ideas??

------------------------------
    Andrea Haeussler
    Drama Teacher and Theatre Manager
    Colegio Maya
    VIENNA VA

• 2.  RE: Challenging and different play

Posted 08-07-2018 18:05
    Can you give us a bit more context?  What is your current group of students like?  What have you produced with them in the past?  What kinds of challenges do you think would benefit them (i.e. something textually dense, something devised, something movement-based or non-linear)?

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 3.  RE: Challenging and different play

Posted 08-08-2018 16:33
    ​Take a look at She Kills Monsters. It's about a high school girl who loses her sister before the play begins. She finds her sister's old Dungeons and Dragons notebook and their is an adventure written for her. She fights monsters and interacts with her sister in ways she wasn't able to when she was alive. It's adventurous, relevant, and in their age range. It's funny and has some serious moments as well.

Christopher Dwyer
    Head of Drama
    St. Vincent Pallotti High School
    Laurel, MD 20707

• 4.  RE: Challenging and different play

Posted 08-09-2018 17:26
    I just found and loved Space Girl by Mora Harris on the New Play Exchange.  It's a funny, thoughtful contemporary play that I'm now doing in the spring, and Mora Harris has been a pleasure to work with in working out the contract.  

Also, if you don't use it yet, get on the New Play Exchange.  For a small fee, you can then read lots of new plays there for free!

Kim

Kimberly Taylor
    Oakland CA

• 5.  RE: Challenging and different play

Posted 08-09-2018 12:28
    She Kills Monsters is a good suggestion and very popular. also:

Big Love by Charles Mee
    The Secret in the Wings by Mary Zimmerman 
    Love and Information by Caryl Churchill

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 6.  RE: Challenging and different play

Posted 08-10-2018 03:28
    Pool of Bethesda by Allan Cubitt is brilliant - switches between Victorian and modern day, act one is confusing but then act two sorts everything out, deals with art/death/relationships and I just adore it.  Also great since it has three rocking female roles

Anything Brecht will be unusual and a challenge.  Arturo Ui is pretty timely depending on your political stance, and Good Person of Szechwan is a favorite.

A Dream Play is sooo odd

Peer Gynt is great and there is a modern day western adaptation that you may prefer

Blood Wedding I think is wicked cool too

Coram Boy I have heard much about - the production at Nationals is legend (although I missed that year!)

Anything Caryl Churchill  (Mad Forest is probably the most accessible although Cloud Nine and/or Top Girls are better plays in my opinion - Vinegar Tom works well too)

The Serpent

Adding Machine I also quirky and I love - the ending just falls apart in my eyes

hope that helps!

Brandon Becker
    Denver CO