Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 06-02-2016 13:20
    Aloha from Hawaii!

I am doing a study on high school musical theatre programs. I am hoping to learn the following:

What are the classes you offer?
    What are the prerequisites (if any)? Do you hold auditions for the advanced levels?
    How many full-time and part-time faculty teach these classes?
    Approximately how many students are in each class?
    Do all classes culminate in a performance? If so, is it usually a full-length musical, a cabaret type event, etc?
    How does the curriculum differ from one level to the next?
    How well does your administration support the program? How do they show their support?

Thank you very much for your time!

-Rob Duval

• 2.  RE: Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 06-03-2016 10:41

I teach TWO Musical Theatre courses.  Level one is an introductory level class and, in the past, has been a part of the big show that we do each semester.  However, over the course of the years, as the student numbers have been increasing, Level One will now be structured to do a cabaret type performance - on their own - for semester one, and then they will do a small touring musical semester two.  Level One will still be a part of the big shows that Level Two does, but in smaller, supportive roles - primarily ensemble numbers.  One of the things that I credit the success to is I have used "youth actors" (elementary brothers & sisters) in various productions.  That has generated a lot of community interest.  We play to sellout crowds for EVERY performance.

Level Two students must either 1) successfully complete Level 1, or, 2) audition with a comedic monologue and an up-tempo contemporary show tune.  Level Two students will produce two bigger musical each year.  Last year we did "Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella" and "Les Miserables School Edition".  Next year we are doing "Peter Pan" and "Little Shop of Horrors".  Level 1 students will tour "Crazy For You Young Performers Edition" (60 minute version, new from Tams-Witmark) to surrounding elementary schools and the junior high.

In between shows, we study Broadway history, publicity/public relations, set & costume design, make-up, create budgets for the following show.  At the end of the year we host an Awards Night - similar to the Tony's, with smaller performances, interspersed with various awards and it is one of the highlights for the entire student body, families, and community.  

The administrative support have been AMAZING!!!  They come to all of the shows, take on cameo roles - they were the angry mob in our production of "Shrek", they are the first ones on stage after a performance to congratulate the students (and me!), recently our principal added Musical Theatre as a line item budget in the school budget so I can have additional funds to produce and purchase necessary items, rather than just rely on ticket/ad sales.  We did a Princess Party prior to Cinderella and they helped in the set-up and take down.  Honestly, my administration is the best because they support ALL arts and athletics with the same enthusiasm.  It's AWESOME!!!

Best of luck!

------------------------------
    Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY

• 3.  RE: Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 06-03-2016 10:46

Forgot to answer a couple of your questions:  

There are approximately 30-35 students in each section of Musical Theatre.

I am the only teacher, however, we do have a paid accompanist that is in the class each day.  She is actually the assistant musical director and assists with working with soloists, and can run rehearsals if needed.

There is no prerequisite for the Level One Musical Theatre class, only for Musical Theatre 2.

I should also mention that I do have students that do the "tech" portion in these classes.  Each of the students in the class chooses what crew they want to be a part of (costumes, props, set, make-up, publicity, etc.).  There are "Tech Only" students in the class.  They run the lights and sound, build, paint, etc.

My Admin has asked me to develop a Theatre Tech class for these students, which I will be doing this coming year, along with building the Drama classes.

Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY

• 4.  RE: Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 06-03-2016 12:35
    The state of Georgia offers 8 (yes, eight!) levels/courses in Drama for high schools.  However, to simplify the registration process and in order to best accommodate my students' needs (schedules, obligations to sports and other organizations, jobs, family, etc.) I have consolidated these into the following four classes, I've included the State title in parenthesis so you get a sense of how complicated it all is:
    Drama I - Intro to Theatre Arts (Drama I). This is the beginner class, mostly Freshmen
    Drama II - "Scene Study" (Acting II and Technical Theatre I). This is where I start blending the state standards into two sections.  Even though it is one class session, students can pick to either focus on performance or technical production.
    Drama III - Production and Adv. Tech Theatre (Children's Theatre, Acting III, and Tech. Theatre II). This class produces shows for public performance and has the opportunity to enter speech, drama, and debate competitions.
    Drama IV - Advanced Production and Arts and Entertainment Careers (Acting IV, Tech. Theatre III and IV, Musical Theatre). Continues the work in Drama III, but with added emphasis on college level material and career development (both in and out of the world of show-business).

What are the prerequisites (if any)?
    No pre-req. for Drama I, however an interview and overall assessment of the student's work and work ethic factor into if and where he/she advances.  

Do you hold auditions for the advanced levels?  Their end-of-year project (a self-directed scene or musical number) serves both as a final exam grade and as the audition for the next level.

How many full-time and part-time faculty teach these classes? One.  Me.

Approximately how many students are in each class? The state maximum is 32. In the past four years, none of my classes has had fewer than 25 students (even the Adv. levels).  This year I taught the following:
    Drama I - Three classes with 32 kids in each for a total of 96
    Drama II - 28 kids
    Drama III - 30 kids
    Drama IV - 27 kids
    Total = 181

Do all classes culminate in a performance? Only III and IV do a full-length show.  But those are either at the Holidays, end of the year, or maybe both.  The form varies based on the make-up of the class and time.  We've done plays (contemporary and classical), musicals, and cabarets.

How well does your administration support the program?  How do they show their support?
    I am very lucky - my administration is very supportive.  They allow me to schedule our theatre and tech equipment based on my program's needs.  They promote and encourage our shows and attend performances (many of their own kids were and are active in the Theatre program, which helps). 

Financially, I've been able to pay royalties, tech expenses and other bills through our ticket sales and Drama club membership fees.  However, I have received needed funds from my principal when those funds are available.  The school has helped pay for field trips, sound equipment, props and simple costumes.

Hope this helps.
    Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 5.  RE: Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 06-04-2016 09:36
    Drama 1 (semester class)
    Drama 2 (semester class)
    Advanced Drama 3-4
    Honors Advanced Drama 5-6
    Stagecraft
    Advanced Stagecraft
    Musical Theatre Ensemble

What are the prerequisites (if any)? Do you hold auditions for the advanced levels?
    Drama 1: none
    Drama 2: completion of Drama 1 OR teacher permission
    Advanced Drama 3-4: Average of C or above in Drama 1-2 (or middle school equivalent) AND teacher permission
    Honors Advanced Drama 5-6: Average of B or above in Drama 3-4 AND teacher permission
    Stagecraft:  Average of C or above in Drama 1-2 or Industrial Tech (or middle school equivalent) AND teacher permission
    Advanced Stagecraft: Average of B or above in Stagecraft AND teacher permission
    Musical Theatre Ensemble: Successful completion of one year of a choir or drama class OR teacher permission, student must also be enrolled in either Concert Choir or Advanced Theatre Course

How many full-time and part-time faculty teach these classes?
    I teacher all the theatre (Drama 1-2, Drama 3-4, Drama 5-6) courses by myself.

Our Stagecraft/Advanced Stagecraft is combined into one class and it has been co-taught with an industrial tech teacher the last two years. I did it by myself for three years so I had to fight to get a co-teacher in the class which I felt was necessary due to safety concerns using tools in the shop.

Musical Theatre I have only taught one year and it was co-taught with our Vocal Teacher and we had a full time accompanist in the class. We had to petition to make sure we were able to co-teach this class together again.

Approximately how many students are in each class?
    Drama 1-2: 2 sections of 20-25 each so 50
    Advanced Drama 3-4: 28
    Honors Advanced Drama 5-6: 16-18
    Stagecraft: 10 
    Advanced Stagecraft: 10 
    Musical Theatre Ensemble: 25

Do all classes culminate in a performance? If so, is it usually a full-length musical, a cabaret type event, etc?
    Drama 1-2: Each unit has an in class performance. They did it once for a 35% grade in which I give them feedback and once for a final 65% grade.
    Advanced Drama 3-4: Each unit has an in class performance. They did it once for a 35% grade in which I give them feedback and once for a final 65% grade.
    Honors Advanced Drama 5-6: Each unit has an in class performance. They did it once for a 35% grade in which I give them feedback and once for a final 65% grade. We also write and collaborate with our Special Needs students each year and perform an adapted 30minute musical, this year was The Little Mermaid. We also end the year with a Elementary School Tour and student either write or select a 30 minute piece to perform.
    Stagecraft/Advanced Stagecraft: We do in class notes, tests and design projects. However all classes work on building the sets for our three MainStage productions (Fall Play, Winter Musical, Special Needs Musical, Spring Play and ImprovFest). To be a stage manager or Technical Director you must be in this class.
    Musical Theatre Ensemble: We do a cabaret performance in November as a fundraiser for our Winter Musical and end the year with a mini musical, this last year was Smokey Joe's Cafe. 

How does the curriculum differ from one level to the next?
    Drama 1-2: This class focuses on the following units:
    1. Improvisation
    2. Types of Theaters, Stage Geography & Stage Management
    3. Pantomime
    4. Monologues
    5. Storytelling
    6. Choral Reading
    7. Theatre History (We do a brief overview each day and then they interact with a piece of theatre of the time period)
    8. Duet Scenes
    9. Final Performance Package (they select one new and one old piece to present to the class)

Advanced Drama 3-4:
    1. Improvisation
    2. Cuttings 
    3. Duet Scenes
    4. Play Analysis/Playwrighting
    5. Various Acting Styles (Greek Tragedy, Roman Comedy, Restoration Comedy and Shakespear)
    6. Movement
    7. Directing
    8. Final Performance Package (Select one new and one old piece to present to the class)

Honors Advanced Drama 5-6: student can take this course multiple times
    1. Improvisation
    2. Audition technique (Stanislavski, Meisner, Meyerhold, Viewpoints)
    3. Theatre History Review
    4. Playwriting/Selection (for Special Needs musical and Spring Tour Show)
    5. Play Production Special Needs Musical
    6. Play Production Spring Tour
    7. Theatre Manifesto Project
    8. We also are given a variety of opportunities to experience workshops by different organizations in the community and this is the class that usually participates. For example, last year a local theatre company provide free immersive theatre workshops and we had two instructors come out for 2-3 days to run the workshop. Another year we had a playwriting free workshop that the student were able to participate in. 

Stagecraft/Advanced Stagecraft
    1. Shop Organization 
    2. Theatre Safety
    3. Tool Usage for beginners
    4. Set Construction and Painting for MainStage shows
    5. Set Design (this is an end of semester project both semesters)
    6. Light Design
    7. Props, Costumes and Makeup Design

Musical Theatre Ensemble:
    1. Musical Theatre History, students present 2-3 32 measure audition cuttings to the class from three separate time periods
    2. Jazz Choreography Workshops (Guest Artist)
    3. Cabaret Preparation/Performance
    4. All students are required to audition for the school Winter Musical
    5. These students also collaborate with our Special Needs Musical
    6. Tap Choreography Workshops (Guest Artist)
    7. Group End of the Year Performance

How well does your administration support the program? How do they show their support?
    We have decent administration support, but it could definitely be better.  As a school district I am given $5000 to produce both our fall and spring production and purchase materials for my classes. I am given no financial support for our musical so we have to fundraise and cover our musical costs with ticket sales. Some administration attend our productions, but usually because they are required to be here to supervise. 

I believe our administration wants to help, but it isn't an urgent issue for them to address. If we present the need they usually find a way to meet it, but it takes quite a bit of work on our end. We did get sound and light board upgrades and new lighting instruments two years ago but it took a lot of push from our parents and many details proposals from me to get it pushed through.

This year our goals are
    1. Get royalties for our Winter Musical paid for by administration.
    2. Get a display case for our fine arts programs (Instrumental, Vocal, Theatre and Visual Arts) to present our awards and upcoming events outside our auditorium.
    3. Over the summer I am working on creating a proposal to fundraise to build a fine arts wing. Our band, vocal and theatre spaces are just not adequate and we are constantly struggling to find space to teach our classes plus we have proper dress rooms or proper space for our musical groups to rehearse. 

Emily Mokrycki
    Theatre Teacher
    Burke High School
    Omaha Public Schools
    Omaha NE