Open Forum

View Only

Wednesday's Wisdom from EdTA Sage Emeritus

• 1.  Wednesday's Wisdom from EdTA Sage Emeritus

Posted 02-20-2024 23:30

Unfortunately, I tripped and suffered a compound fracture of my right arm at a Thespian Festival a few weeks ago (I am right-handed and typing with my left hand). Therefore, my “Wednesday’s Wisdom” article this week will be a short excerpt from my book, “Your School Theatre Director’s Playbook”, https://trwplays.com/resource-guides/

Be a voice of encouragement. 

At the 2023 EdTA Theatre Education Conference I noted that when I began teaching, I was in my 20’s in the 70’s, and now I’m in my 70’s in the 20’s. (It should take longer to get old.) When I was in my 20’s, Professor George Seifert began the first class of the semester at Long Island University telling those of us in his class to write the following in our notebooks: “There is no such thing as a child who hates music. But there are plenty who hate music teachers.” He then said if that is the only thing we remember from his class, it will be enough. Forty-eight years later, it is the only thing I remember from Professor Seifert’s class. But his insight guided much of what I accomplished as a teacher and theatre director.

If you teach theatre long enough, you may enjoy the privilege of seeing former students in Broadway and Off-Broadway shows, on television, and in major films. I have former students who are writers, directors, producers, technicians, casting directors, and many actors. Watching them work is a joy. It is always a pleasure to see or hear from former students who are well-adjusted, happy humans. Your theatre program must provide an inspiring, supportive, and safe environment for those who will pursue the arts after high school, but it also must provide a creative outlet for those who are eager to learn about theatre without pursuing it further. While some of my students chose to go into the performing arts industry, the majority are now parents working in many different fields, with quite a few teachers in the group. Theatre and arts education is not solely aimed at the few who will become arts professionals. It is aimed at the many, most of whom will become arts consumers, and hopefully the next generation of empathetic, creative adults. 

Arts education should not only nurture a student’s talent, but it must also help them to hear the unique artistic voice that lies within. 

Whenever you meet a new class, keep in mind that the next Lin Miranda, Quiara Hudes, Aaron Sorkin, Misty Copeland, Kelly O’Hara, Kenny Leon, or Stephen Sondheim might be seated in front of you. Some students will realize their potential as they grow older. But others may not, because no one encouraged them to believe that the inkling or spark that they sense deep inside is important. A teacher’s charge is to help students discover where their passions lie. If they have no idea where they are going, they’ll never know if they’re lost. Commit to being a voice of encouragement and enthusiasm – to help keep young artists on their paths. Do your best to avoid discouraging too many along the way.

“There is no such thing as a child who hates music. But there are plenty who hate music teachers.” Thank you, Dr. Seifert.

------------------------------
    [Jim] [Hoare]
    [New York] [NY]
    ------------------------------