Open Forum

View Only

Rethinking Theatre 1

• 1.  Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-20-2022 07:02

Hi All-

With the year ending soon, I'm looking ahead to the next year and am re-examining my approach to my high school intro-level theatre class.  Perhaps many of you have wrestled with this.  I've been teaching theatre for about 12  years, 10 of which as a classroom teacher....and I've never really been satisfied with my theatre 1 classes.  

For me, I've always felt a tension between making the class fun for newcomers to theatre (and those who were placed in the class) and also making it substantive and meaningful so that students who may want continue with theatre will come away with some actual skills.

I want the class to be enjoyable.  Like many of us, I'm trying to rebuild after COVID so I want it to be fun....AND/BUT I'm also trying to rebuild my cohort of actors and i don't want the more motivated students to spend the class spinning their wheels while I try to placate the more reluctant or more casual students.

I'm not sure i have a specific ask here...other than to get some of your thoughts about how you navigate this.  What has worked for you? 

------------------------------
    Blake Wilson
    Theatre Arts Director
    Orange High School
    NC

• 2.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-20-2022 09:32
    I'm right there with you! I had a fantastic outgoing teacher that I took over for (I'm the sole theatre teacher at my school) and she left me her curriculum that she had honed over the years. I have added to it and taken things away since that time, but I am essentially teaching the same thing. However, I feel like it lacks focus and purpose and also I've noticed that I end up getting a ton of kids interested in technical theatre from my theatre one classes, but not as many actors. Which is super weird. So this year, I am wanting to structure it to build to their final exam, which I am thinking will be a monologue. So essentially backwards planning, starting with what I want them to be able to do at the end of the year (get on stage and perform a monologue well, which will be a serious ask for most of them who are just in theatre one because they need a fine arts credit) and making the rest of the year teaching whatever skills are required to get there. In order to focus on this more, I am seriously considering eliminating theatre history and making it a part of a later course... if at all. That makes me nervous, but I think it might be best for my group (I teach at a very diverse title one school in the south).

Leeana Cargile

• 3.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-22-2022 20:58
    My theatre classes use improvisation as a foundation, and I've had a lot of success with this approach. They walk away with real-world skills they can use on stage, but I sort of sneak those skills in while they're having fun. By the end of the first year, they've also read a few plays, done a couple of scenes, and done a couple of monologues, one of which they write themselves.  I wrote a book for theatre educators about this approach, with sequential lessons, and people seem to find it helpful. If you're interested send me a message and I can get one to you.

James Thomas Bailey
    Director of Theatre
    Justin-Siena High School
    CA

• 4.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-23-2022 11:37
    James - your book is fantastic! I've never thought about using it at the beginning of the year, but it makes a lot of sense so I'm going to give it a go next year!

Stefanie Plumley
    Performing Arts Chair
    The Webb Schools
    Claremont, Ca 91711

• 5.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-24-2022 05:26

James, what is the name of your book? I'd love to see it, too.
    Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth Academy

• 6.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-25-2022 09:48
    It's called Teaching Improv: A Practical Guide for Theatre Educators.  Right now, it's only available through me. It's moving to a new publisher in the fall.

James Thomas Bailey
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Justin-Siena HS, Napa CA
    Artistic Director, CSz Los Angeles

• 7.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-26-2022 13:37
    This is my yearly homage to James' Improv book. I have used it for five years. Mine is highlighted, post it flagged, & tea stained because I use it every single day of the school year for warm up exercises (or entire lessons). 

The reflection questions & discussion tips he gives alongside the "games" elevate the instruction to so much more than theatre skills & fun moments (which they certainly are). I have students who come back years later & talk about how a "game" & the life application we reflected on after playing still informs the way they move through the world. Some of the reflection times are the breakthrough moments where those reluctant "I didn't sign up for this" students see how theatre can be instructive for their growth as humans. I've seen this happen time & time again over the last five years. Bravo James.

And if you ever have a chance to take a workshop from him, DO IT!! I did one in NYC a few years ago & an online one. He's just as fun in real life as in his book!!

Lea Marshall
    Theatre Teacher/Troupe #1429 Director
    Leon High School
    Tallahassee FL
    LeonTheatre.com

• 8.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-02-2022 07:37
    James, 

I am going to be teaching a theatre class for the first time this fall and I need all the help I can get! I would be so appreciative if I could purchase a copy of your book. Thanks so much.

Nicole Weaver
    Faculty, Club Advisor
    Twin Valley High School
    PA

• 9.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-02-2022 16:03
    Hi, James -
    I, too, am interested in your book. Please let me know how I can obtain a copy.

Thanks!
    Michelle Brightman

Michelle Brightman
    Orangewood Christian School
    FL

• 10.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-06-2022 11:45
    Hi James,

I, too, would love t read your book. Please let me know how to get a copy. Thanks for putting that resource out there!

Alex Pryor

Alexander Pryor

• 11.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 09-12-2022 09:26
    Could I get a copy of your book? Sounds great!

Heidi Brack
    Theatre Teacher/Director of Fine Arts
    Troupe #8372
    Gaston Christian School
    NC

• 12.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 09-12-2022 09:51
    I am loving using it 

• 13.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 09-12-2022 10:16
    I'm pleased to say, the new, shiny edition is available on Amazon now, and soon at YouthPLAYS.

You can grab a copy HERE!

James Thomas Bailey
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Justin-Siena HS, Napa CA
    Artistic Director, CSz Los Angeles

• 14.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-07-2022 17:05
    Add me to the list- I can even drive up to Napa to pick it up :)
    Lesley Ruzon
    Moreland Middle School, San Jose, CA

Lesley Ruzon

• 15.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-08-2022 10:23
    Hi James,
    I would love to purchase a copy of your book.  How do I do that?  My email is adarnton@kingschoolct.org  Thanks for the reply! 

Amy Darnton
    King School;
    1450 Newfield Ave
    Stamford, CT

AmyDarntonadarnton@kingschoolct.org
    CT

• 16.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-09-2022 07:22
    I too would like to purchase your book. Could you please send me information parks.pshstheater@gmail.com?

• 17.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 07-13-2022 22:42
    I would love to purchase a copy of your book. Thanks!

My email is: lnix@madison-schools.com

Leigha Nix
    Madison Central High School
    MS

• 18.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 07-14-2022 12:20
    Everyone should have received their books. If I missed anyone, please let me know!  Let me know if you ever need tools or support. Thanks so much for your interest.

James Thomas Bailey
    Director of Theatre Arts • Chair, Visual & Performing Arts
    Past President, CA Educational Theatre Association
    He /Him /His

www.justin-siena.org  |  4026 Maher Street, Napa, CA 94558  |  707.255.0950 ext. 659 

This email may contain material that is confidential or private and intended for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance, or distribution by others or forwarding without the express permission of the original sender is strictly prohibited and violates constitutionally protected privacy rights. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies.

• 19.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-28-2022 11:16

Hello, 
    I am interested in learning more about your book. I actually have a similar approach, but I would love to see what you do differently.

Thanks! 

Samantha Roop
    Theatre Teacher/ Play & Musical Director/ Head Coach

• 20.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-30-2022 07:16
    Hi James,

I would be very interested in the book that you mentioned. I appreciate you offering the support and the book for guidance.
    Thanks.

• 21.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-31-2022 11:14
    Hi James,

I would love to get your book. I pretty new to teaching theatre. I've only taught 3 semesters. All 3 times, I've tried different approaches to theatre 1 and haven't been happy with any of them. I have separate tech classes that I love, but that theatre 1 class is nuts. I also tend to have 40 kids in the class each semester. Would this approach work for classes of this size?

Brandi Ford
    Cuthbertson High School
    NC

• 22.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-31-2022 19:23
    Yes, it would work well for classes of all sizes. 

James Thomas Bailey
    Director of Theatre Arts • Chair, Visual & Performing Arts
    Past President, CA Educational Theatre Association
    He /Him /His

www.justin-siena.org  |  4026 Maher Street, Napa, CA 94558  |  707.255.0950 ext. 659 

This email may contain material that is confidential or private and intended for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance, or distribution by others or forwarding without the express permission of the original sender is strictly prohibited and violates constitutionally protected privacy rights. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies.

• 23.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-02-2022 10:24
    Hello! I am very interested in your book. What is the cost? I have been teaching K-12 theatre for the last five years, but was just named Director of Arts Education for the district and would like to find ways to integrate theatre more for all of our students. Your book sounds like it would be a great asset.

Thank you and have a wonderful summer!
    Carmen

Carmen Caldera-Brzoska
    Elizabethtown High School
    KY

• 24.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-31-2022 16:27
    I'm really interested in your book.  How can I purchase a copy?

Thanks!

Kristina Cummins
    Theatre Teacher,
    Capital High School
    Co-Chapter Director
    Washington State Thespians

• 25.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-01-2022 21:50
    James, can I get a copy of your book? I'd gladly pay for it. My address is:

Stanley Coleman
    494 West 10th Avenue
    Apt 406
    Eugene, OR 97401

Thanks

Stanley Coleman
    OR

• 26.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-02-2022 09:42
    Hello, James.
    Please add me to your list of individuals who would love a copy of your book.
    Please, email the price at your convenience.
    Patricia Frank

Patricia Frank
    Avon Lake High School
    OH

• 27.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-03-2022 08:20
    Hi James, 

I am interested in obtaining a copy of your book.

Thanks, 

Jennifer Bryan

Jennifer Bryan
    Drama Instructor
    Florida Christian School
    FL

• 28.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-03-2022 10:41
    Hey everyone! I ordered and recieved a copy of James' curriculum and it's AWESOME. If any of you end up purchasing and using it in the fall with your theatre I kids, I'd love to connect with you so we could share experiences! Let me know if you're interested.

Leeana Cargile

• 29.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-04-2022 06:22
    Hi James,

May I please get a copy of your book? I too use improv as a basis for my Theatre 1 class. I love how you weave in self written monologues and scenes. May I please get a copy? I am happy to pay for it. 

Thanks!

Karen Nielsen-Anson
    Theatre Teaching Artist
    McGillis School K-8
    Salt Lake City, UT

• 30.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-06-2022 11:30
    I would also like a copy of your book! Happy to pay, of course!

Cory Snyder
    Generations Theater Company 

• 31.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-05-2022 13:56
    James,

I would LOVE to know more about your book.  Like the many others here, my Theatre I needs a revamp.  As well, we are finally moving from semester to year-long classes so I am keen to shake up the whole thing!  So far, Improv has proven to be a great thing to hook reluctant kids in.  Please let me know how I can get a copy!

With thanks & kindest regards,

E. Denise Royal
    Theater Director
    Desert Edge High School
    AZ

• 32.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-06-2022 08:16
    I too am interested in reading your book. Need to retool my course path.

• 33.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-06-2022 07:29
    I will be revising my curriculum this summer and would love to check out your book!

Sarah Buchheit
    Theatre Director
    Union High School
    MO

• 34.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-09-2022 10:03
    James, I am interested in purchasing a copy of your book. Please email mhurley2@wcpss.net. Thank you! ~Matthew

Matthew Hurley
    Leesville Road High School
    NC

• 35.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-22-2022 14:43
    I only teach quarter classes at my school. I teach one Introduction to Acting and Backstage.  and one Unified Theatre class. These two classes have a production for a final. The Unified Theatre is a puppet productions with puppets they build and plays they write. They are all more comfortable with being in a puppet theatre than on stage. This became a puppet class during lock down because it was the only way to have the students show themselves.  The Introduction class writes their own show and it ties into our GIN conference. I usually have a handful of actors and the rest tech.  I hate to rain on your parade but the students who want to do tech will not want to act or do acting lessons.  Many students today suffer from anxiety and are totally uncomfortable being onstage.  I have been teaching for almost forty years and I have never seen so many students who don't want to act and are uncomfortable doing it. I am not sure how to get these kids to act.  I now teach a course called Stagecraft and Design which is only backstage work. They learn about lighting, sound, costumes and set. They design and build models for each element for a story they choose to make into a live production. This also came out of lockdown. For the first time students enjoy the class and recommend it. The final project is a presentation which sells their production to a producer. This is verbal and slides. This has resulted in some students joining my after school program to design and build. Occasionally a student will then try out acting.  It is a strange world we live in now.

Cathy Archer
    EdTA Member or Troupe Director
    Rutland High School
    VT

• 36.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-22-2022 20:58

First off, I'm not a teacher - I'm a retired set designer who's been hanging out here for several years occasionally helping out with design or tech issues when they come up. But, you said you're looking to re-think Theatre 1, so, from the viewpoint of a fly on the wall, here's my two-cents' worth.

From what I've read here over the past few years, it seems that most high-school theatre classes are primarily focused on acting. Of course some schools also have tech programs, but, for the most part, it seems tech mostly comes up when it's time to do a show. We didn't have a theatre program in high school, although we mounted two huge shows each year. However, in college, theatre majors all had to take classes in everything; even "we techies" had to take acting, directing, mime, and similar subjects. Most of "us techies" had no interest in these (and in some cases it was torture), but we had to maintain our GPAs, so we trudged along. A couple of one-semester classes, stage management and theatre management, even opened a few of my classmates' eyes to directions they never considered.  

If I were to do a Theatre 1 class, I would start with an introduction to all facets of theatre, presenting them as possible careers in the entertainment industry, including a discussion of Broadway, regional theatre, touring shows, Vegas, Cirque du Soleil, and similar venues. I would also point out the similarities between live theatre, TV, and the movies: all three need writers, actors, directors, designers, builders, painters, producers, marketing and finance people, lawyers, and so on and on and on. In fact, many actors have been, and still are, active in all three: live theatre, TV, and the movies.

More recently, computers and technology are used more and more in theatre. We need people who can program and run automated lighting and sound equipment, projections, robotics, and similar items, In my case, I used SketchUp, a 3D modeling program, in my design work for fifteen years and it made my workflow far more efficient. In fact, my first job out of grad school wasn't even in theatre: it was in the architectural department of a major computer company, and I got the job because I could draft – a skill I honed as an assistant set designer or set designer in school.

So, yeah, after forty-odd years doing this, I would approach the class as an intro to all of theatre as a possible future career direction. Of course I would not attempt to teach each subject in any depth, but I would have them understand at least how each one fits into the overall picture. The kids can certainly do quizzes or projects as they go, and a final project might be something in their individual area of interest.

A few years ago I wrote a blog post on this topic: https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/theater-can-lead-to-a-lot-of-careers/

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 37.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-05-2022 14:08
    George, great article!  In my District, the Theatre teachers presented this exact argument and so, starting in the fall, we have now changed the course name, Stagecraft (Tech Theatre), to LIVE PRODUCTION for the exact purpose of hooking kids not as keen to being "in Theatre".  We most definitely want them to see that skills they gain through this class are transferable to MANY jobs in a VARIETY of industries.

Kuddos!

E. Denise Royal
    Theater Director
    Desert Edge High School
    AZ

• 38.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-23-2022 04:05
    Hello Blake!

I am retired from classroom teaching now, but when I was about 10 years in I went through the same thing you are.  It's often challenging to teach theatre, especially a multi-year program, because there isn't a built-in curriculum, like math courses.  But that's also the beauty of teaching theatre, that you have the capacity and the freedom to try different things until you find what works for you!  But I wanted more than that, and started doing some research into how to develop a curriculum that uses lessons and activities that build upon one another, so my "serious" students are growing and learning - not just doing the same thing over and over and my "shy" students get basic foundations that will help them with things like self-confidence, the willingness to try (and be okay with failing) and collaborative problem solving - skills that will help them beyond the drama classroom.  

After researching, I took the lessons and activities I had used over the years and put them in a specific order.  I honed it over the years and then turned it into a book for others.  This isn't a sales pitch and I'm certainly not saying that my approach is the "end-all-be-all," but I did want to just let you know that it's out there.  You can find it on Amazon - Teaching Drama in the Classroom - OR I have an updated, downloadable version on my teacherspayteachers.com store - Designing Drama.  Many new teachers have used it to get started and experienced teachers have used to explore a new approach or a foundation from which to build as they put their own twist on it.  I hope that helps.  It does focus on acting, because I always had separate tech classes.

Jeana Whitaker
    Retired Theatre Teacher
    EdTA Alumni
    www.jeanawhitaker.com

• 39.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-26-2022 08:23
    Definitely following! Love getting new ideas to implement and try. 

That being said, my Intro class is one of my favorite classes to teach! I use the four essential elements (actor, audience, space and story) as a way to anchor curriculum. We do Improv Fridays every Friday which is AWESOME and so much fun! We often get kids from other classes who pop in or request to come in because they know it's happening. Great recruitment! The first half of the semester I plan the 55 minute session. The second half of the semester, I split students into groups and THEY plan the session. I give them one skill to focus on so that they can choose appropriate games and such.

Our final for the class is a group project where each group has a director, costume, set, lights, prop designers and an actor. They choose a story to "produce" and then pitch their ideas to see what shows get picked up. The key is COLLABORATION. While there are individual assignments, the presentation isn't successful if they don't work together. In my course evaluations, this activity gets the most positive feedback and students understand the purpose. Happy to share if there is interest!

Megan Upton-Tyner
    Drama Instructor
    Valley Center Senior High School
    KS

• 40.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 05-27-2022 11:48
    Megan, I really like the way you have your class broken into those four elements. And James, I took your improv class at National Conference, and it was awesome! I've always had separate Intro to Theatre and Acting I classes. For Theatre 1 class that combines both, I definitely agree that you should incorporate design, playwriting, theatre history as well as acting. EdTA has some really fun click-to-teach lessons that are worth considering, and there are a LOT of useful units on Drama Teacher Academy that I've incorporated over the past two years. I've also been expanding the kinds of topics I offer to my acting students, including radio theatre, puppet theatre, commedia d'ell arte, neutral mask, Viewpoints, story theatre, and devising. Any of these can be made approachable to new actors but can also be unique and challenging to your more serious actors. I'll be incorporating all of these topics into my combined Studio Acting I&II next year for exactly that reason. You could also read a study play together and analyze it, look at the cultural context around it and do a variety of projects with the same text -- writing in role, writing an unseen scene or a new ending, performing scenes, creating and articulating a design concept, designing costumes/sets/lighting, designing marketing materials, etc. We've used All My SonsPicnic, and She Kills Monsters (YA version) as our study plays in the past.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA

• 41.  RE: Rethinking Theatre 1

Posted 06-09-2022 10:12
    Thank you James for sharing your book with us!  Great to see that there is a lot of interest!

One friendly request to everyone reading this thread:   If you would like to reach out to James about his book, I suggest contacting him directly by email or by using a private message rather than replying to the whole group.  

Thanks!

Blake Wilson
    Theatre Arts Director
    Orange High School
    NC