Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  projections?

Posted 05-18-2022 10:24
    Hello colleagues!  We are planning on The Little Mermaid in the fall, and are planning to use projections to do a lot of the scenic "heavy lifting".  It will be our first time using projections on this scale.  I'm looking at TheatreAve.com and BroadwayMedia.com, who both have sets of projections designed for this show.  My question is, what experiences have you had with either company, do you have a preference, and/or what other feedback do you have?  Thank you!

------------------------------
    Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Palmer Ridge High School
    CO

• 2.  RE: projections?

Posted 05-18-2022 13:09
    We have used Rick Frendt in the past and he is affordable and does great work.

www.rickfrendt.net

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 3.  RE: projections?

Posted 05-19-2022 07:00
    We have also used Rick Frendt - and agree that he is affordable and does great work. I'd add that he is easy to contact and was super fast responding. It was my first time using professional projections and we would gladly use his work in the future. 
    Kate

Kate Lindsay

Theatre Director, Salina High School South

730 E. Magnolia Rd., Salina, KS 67401

785.309.3675 ph.  785.309.3675 fax

Alternate email – kate.lindsay@staff.usd305.com

www.salinasouththeatre.com

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.

Unified School District #305 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.  Any person having inquiries concerning Unified School District #305 compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI, ADA, Title IX, or Section 504 is directed to contact the Unified School District #305 Executive Director of Human Resources, P.O. Box 797, Salina, Kansas 67402, 785-309-4726.

• 4.  RE: projections?

Posted 05-19-2022 08:05
    I would completely agree with working with Rick, we rented Sister Act from him this year (first time using projections) and he was really helpful to work with and fit our budget.

Advice... practice without extra lighting in the auditorium.  We are so used to tech working backstage or the house lights on, it will completely change the look of the projection.  

Don't block any scenes within 6 feet of the cyc/scrim  you are projecting on

Last tidbit, trust your students.  We had an outside company tell us we needed to spend $2500 to rent a projector to use in our auditorium until one of my tech kids said, "why don't we just hit the xxxxx (no idea) button and widen the screen with the projector in the auditorium?"  Brilliant!

Kendra Knoblock
    Teacher - Director
    Romeo High School
    MI

• 5.  RE: projections?

Posted 05-19-2022 08:15
    Agree . We just used Rick for Wizard of Oz. We used his Mermaid a few years ago. He is really nice to work with  and was very accommodating when Covid delayed us from Feb. to May.

Nell] [Lynch]
    Notre Dame Preparatory School
    MDMaggie

• 6.  RE: projections?

Posted 05-24-2022 11:12

Hi Josh,

I'm so excited to learn that you're looking to utilize digital scenery in your upcoming production of The Little Mermaid!  With all the transitions from land to sea (not to mention the special effects), projections work as a key tool to recreate the cinematic storyline for the stage. The style of artwork used by Broadway Media is cartoonized realism; the settings are stylized, but it still looks different from the Disney film artistically. In fact, Broadway Media worked closely alongside Disney to make sure the artwork didn't infringe, but still felt reminiscent of the film. 

Here are a few photos from California Regional Theatre's recent production, utilizing The Little Mermaid Scenic Projections.

With a Scenic Projections package from Broadway Media, you'll receive every scene, setting, and magical moment mentioned in the script. As MTI's official resource, we work with them to ensure our resource is script-accurate and will match the materials you receive; meaning all of the projections are cued with the scene, page number, and line. 

Josh, best wishes fishes with your production! If there's anything else I can assist with, please don't hesitate to let me know!

-Melissa, Community Manager for Broadway Media

Melissa Kratish
    Broadway Media
    CA

• 7.  RE: projections?

Posted 05-27-2022 12:07

We used the projections from BMD.  I think they've changed what they look like since we did it in Fall 2019 (as I recall, they changed over the summer 2019 but we managed to use the original version because that's what we'd chosen when we chose the show...?  I could have some details wrong).

Anyway, I loved their projections, and I love working with BMD.  They're always available and ready to help, and I appreciate that so much.  We have worked with them 3 times and I won't hesitate to work with them again.

NOTE:  The cheaper option for their rentals is to use their playback app, StagePlayer.  If you want to use Q Lab (which I prefer), you have to buy the pro package and it's significantly more expensive.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    OR