Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Paint project idea, tech theatre

Posted 27 days ago

Hello! I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I am a first year tech theatre teacher. I have not been fully satisfied with any of my units I have done all year, and I want to make sure this last one is a banger. 

I decided scenic painting techniques would be the way to go here. I have seen many projects where students build a flat, then use the flat as a canvas for paint. They will divide the flat into 4 sections, and each section will be different (wood grain, color gradient, scrumble, dry brush, etc). I would love to do this sort of thing with my students. 

I do not have the time or resources to teach them how to build flats though. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what alternative material I can use- something cheap, maybe 4'x4', and something that takes paint as well as a flat well. Also, something I could potentially pick up this weekend- I have an open encumbrance at Home Depot.

Has anyone done this? What was the best materials, techniques, and process to make it really successful? I don't want to fall flat on this one. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Troy Daly

• 2.  RE: Paint project idea, tech theatre

Posted 27 days ago

you could get pieces of cheap panelin, luan, or masonite, base paint them first though if you go this way

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Heartland Scenic Studio
    NE

• 3.  RE: Paint project idea, tech theatre

Posted 22 days ago

Hi! I'll chime in here, I'm so excited for you to do this! You are right, this will probably be very popular. I like sending the projects home with a comment form!

It's that time of year when I encourage any of you to sign up and come to our one week Teachers Training for Scenic Painting. This year it's June 24 through 28, which I now realize is the same week as the International Thespian Society!  :-(    Next year I'm moving it to the middle of July!!  Anyway, participants who come will get lots of ideas about what and how to teach lots of painting techniques, and all your questions are answered in this small (9) class setting in Rural New York, just two hours from Times Square. There are still a few spots left, so if you want to sign up, visit us at    www.cobaltstudios.net 

Happy Painting! Rachel 

[Rachel] [Keebler]
    [Director, Owner]
    [Cobalt Studios]
    [White Lake] [NY]

• 4.  RE: Paint project idea, tech theatre

Posted 27 days ago
    This may help you. It is a conversion from Rosco's Off Broadway paints to Home Depot (Glidden) paints. I use them when I teach scenic painting when I'm not trying to get rid of old paint I've stock piled from previous shows.

Nicholas Osenberg
    Design and Technical Theatre
    WCSPA
    MI

• 5.  RE: Paint project idea, tech theatre

Posted 27 days ago

Hi Troy - when I do a decorative painting unit, I use scrap plywood/Luan, whatever I have and the pieces are usually smaller - say 14 x24 ish. The students have 2 pieces, and they do a different technique on each side. Bricks, marble, stone and wood. At the end of the unit, the kids have to take them home with a response sheet, show them to parents and have the parents comment. If the kid wants to keep them, they can, and just return the response. If they don't want to keep them, they return the project and  those pieces get based out with the next year's class. If you don't have scrap you could just get thin ply, cut them in specific sizes and keep them year after year. 

Wendy Harms
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Manitou Springs High School

• 6.  RE: Paint project idea, tech theatre

Posted 26 days ago

Thank you all for the help! I ended up getting 1/8 inch plywood delivered from home depot and cut them up into equally sized individual boards- we put our base coats on today. This is my first year teaching, so I am excited to expand upon this project in the future with all y'alls wonderful ideas.

Troy Daly

• 7.  RE: Paint project idea, tech theatre

Posted 22 days ago

Hi Troy,

We often use 1" or 1/2" blue or pink insulation sheets. They're relatively cheap at Home Depot, lightweight, easy to cut, and easy to paint and prop up using triangular pieces of foam and duct tape.

Hope it all goes well!

Bethany Swanson-Yuninger
    Teacher/Troupe Director
    Dallastown Area High School
    PA