Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musicians Pay

Posted 03-12-2024 15:32

Hi all,

I am looking to see how much hired musicians are paid to play for HS musicals. We currently need to hire 100% of our orchestra for each show which is slowly adding up. According to our music teacher (who selects the musicians) that it is customary to pay an amount for rehearsal and then pay double for a performance. For example, if a school pays $50 for a rehearsal, the musician would get $100 for the actual performance. Not living in that world, it is raising a red flag for me. Why pay double for the same music and same length of time? Is this the norm out there and I am just learning about this? Also, for those who hire musicians, what is your hourly rate? I am just trying to benchmark to ensure we are remaining competitive without breaking the bank.

------------------------------
    James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 2.  RE: Musicians Pay

Posted 03-13-2024 07:30

Hi James, 

When I have the budget, I try to use a live band.  I use a mix of adult professional and semi-professionals along with a couple of our better student musicians from our school's band program.  I can't pay the kids, but we do give them free tickets for their families and free merch from the shows.

The amount paid varies based on what I have in the budget.  

The rate you're using seems fair and is actually a bit on the low side compared to programs with which I'm familiar.  The number of players dictates the stipend paid to each.  I try to pay between $300-$500/player for the entire production.  

My music director (a volunteer from our English department who is a wonderful piano player and loves musicals), organizes the players from church groups and other contacts she has from local colleges.  We schedule about 10 rehearsal sessions and 4 performances.  The band rehearses separately from the actors until we do a sitzprobe on the Saturday before tech week.  Then we do about 3 or 4 full rehearsals with the band before opening.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 3.  RE: Musicians Pay

Posted 03-13-2024 08:01

Just did this. $50.00 pay per service (regardless of whether rehearsal or performance).

Janet Wood
    Drama Director
    [Columbia High School]
    [Columbia] [PA]

• 4.  RE: Musicians Pay

Posted 03-26-2024 09:16

We pay $50 per service, regardless if it is rehearsal or performance. 

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School