Open Forum

View Only

Memorization

• 1.  Memorization

Posted 02-06-2024 08:32

My students are TERRIBLE at memorizing lines.  I am thinking of doing a lesson/project to address this.  Has anyone done this?  In my searches I get lots of advice and tips, no concrete lessons.  Do I just assign a simple scene or speech and lead each of the activities until we get to the memorization check with stations?  Help!

------------------------------
    Lesley Ruzon (she, her, hers)
    South San Francisco High School

• 2.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-06-2024 15:45

I don't have a lesson in mind.  However, I did want to comment that some scripts are written such that the lines are significantly easier for performers to memorize their lines than others.

Hans Offenfrish

• 3.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-07-2024 09:06

A tactic that we discovered this year and have had some fun and luck with is to-- read over the lines at least three times, ask yourself some questions about word choice, rhythm, etc; then write the first letter of each line on a piece of paper-- working in sections or beats, of course.  Next use the piece of paper to help facilitate rehearsals.  It is amazing how easily students will remember the complete line if they can see the first letter of that line.  It takes a bit of work, but it gets students up on their feet really fast working without the script.  Later one has to do some scaffolding work to build long term memory and understanding, but we found this a fun way to go about memorizing.

Michael Johnson
    Teacher
    Trinity High School
    NC

• 4.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-07-2024 17:09
    When I had a bunch of very talented young men who preferred to improv their way through a script.  I put my foot down.  I canceled the spring productions and did an evening of scenes instead; they couldn't audition for a spot unless everyone in their group had ALL the lines memorized. When some preferred to sit out the spring show rather tan memorize lines, I announced that the fall production would be an all-female cast.  I did The Women; I never had a problem with them learning lines again!

I don't know if you want to solve the problem the way I did, but it really worked for me since I never had any repeat offenders!

Marilynn S. Zeljeznjak 
    Retired, Former CA State Thespian Director
    "Life is Brief - Art is Eternal"

• 5.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-07-2024 08:47

So these are a few things I tell my kids to try and they seem to help-

1. Before Bed- I know.....it's weird, but it was something I learned in college and it WORKS. Deals with something in your subconscious. Tell them to review whatever it is they need to learn a few times before bed. (ANYTHING, lines, school work etc. Have them try with easy vocab or something and they will see it works!) Tell them they must go to bed right after. No phone, TV, etc! When they wake up in the morning, have them review again- it is often right there in their brain!
    2. Say it with audio- have them record whatever it is they need to learn. Then, they can practice saying it with the audio. This helps to stop them from "cheating" with the script but helps fill in a bit if they know some of it. It is useful in a scene where there are others. Record the other lines as well- it helps with cues. They can use a read aloud website with this also!
    3. Website fill in- I can't remember or find at the moment but there is a website that you can upload information. It takes words out and you fill it in.
      As you go, it takes more and more words out! That helped a previous student. 
    4. Type/Write it out- Depending on their learning style, this could be effective. This was my method and worked the best for me.

I would also suggest starting with two person short scenes. It is must easier than a monologue or being by yourself. Once they gain confidence there it is easier to do longer monologues. There really is no replacement for repetition. They must do it over and over and over for it to really stick. I also tell them, you have to find what works for YOU. I can't get it in your head!    Hope these help!

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan High School
    LA

• 6.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-08-2024 08:28

Erika offers some very good advice.  I often use a digital recorder to record my scenes in a show, so I can review lines off-script at any time without the need for a human assistant reading "the other lines."  On the type/write point, I would note - in this age where our students seem almost allergic to writing anything by hand - that there is neurological and psychological research to indicate that people learn material more strongly if they write it out by hand than if they type it on a device.  The human brain actually processes typing and handwriting differently.  At least one college professor who is involved in such research ended up prohibiting his students from taking notes on phones, laptops, tablets, etc. - in his class, you must take notes by hand.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Prep
    FL

• 7.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-09-2024 12:18
    Lots of good advice here!  I'll add a few that worked for my students--and for me, as I've gotten older and the words don't stick as easily as they did when I was younger.

1.  Movement prompts memory.  Putting appropriate gestures in specific places and doing those gestures when running lines can cement the lines.  Blocking does the same, so you can encourage students to walk their blocking when working on their lines.

2.  Study with a buddy.  Running lines with someone holding book is always helpful.  I found it worked best for the students running the lines to only say "Line" when they needed help, not make excuses or add "I thought I knew this!" or "Oh, that's right!"  When the actor is pretty solid on the lines, it can be helpful for the one holding book to just throw out the next word when the actor pauses.  This can aid in developing fluency.

3.  Find the sticking points in the script.  If an actor always loses the line at a particular point, help them analyze the wording.  Maybe a certain word is used several times in the monologue.  Highlighting or circling those words in the script can help.  Maybe there is a transition in tactics that the actor hasn't recognized.  Sometimes several words in sequence are difficult to articulate.  Repeating that sequence over and over can help.

4.  Yes, studying the lines immediately before going to sleep is super helpful.  Students who are aural learners can read the lines into their phone recorder and listen to them immediately before going to sleep.  (But if they look at anything on the phone after listening to the lines, the benefit is gone.) 

5.  Practice with poetry.  As a teacher, you can assign pieces with poetic meter as the first piece to be memorized.  In 35 years, I never found a student who could not memorize an 8 to 10-line monologue from Shakespeare that was written in iambic pentameter or trochaic tetrameter.    

6.  Change the narrative.  Whenever a student said, "I can't memorize lines" I said "Yet.  You haven't memorized the lines yet, but you will."  Then offer another technique to help.   

• 8.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-07-2024 10:12
      |   view attached

Everyone's memorization style is different. What works for one student may not work as well for another so sometimes it is difficult to sort through all the tips out there. Like you, I wish there were more specific lessons on memorization. There seems to be a lot of quick tips but younger performers need more guidance on how to implement these tips.  I have come across a couple resources that might work for you. I've attached a doc I found years ago. It gives not only tips but also ideas on how to implement them in a classroom. Also check out Monologue Memorization Stations for Theatre and Acting Classes on the Teachers Pay Teachers (TPT) website. It is a lesson with activities on a variety of different memorizing/learning styles.

Jillian Lietzau
    Lutheran High School
    CO

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Memorization Techniques.pdf   327 KB 1 version

• 9.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-07-2024 14:06
      |   view attached

I do an ongoing monologue unit throughout the year. They work on monologues every Monday and present them at the end of the grading period. Through that unit I teach them various memorization techniques and explain how there isn't a one-size-fits-all approach to memorization, they need to experiment with different techniques until they find one that works best for them. Every nine weeks they hit all of the techniques- they get a grade for each, but ultimately they will use the one that works best for them. I tell them the techniques and skills we work on during Monologue Mondays are the same techniques and skills they should approach any script with.  I think it's really helped my students approach memorization (and auditions) with more confidence.  I've attached my overview of what they work on week by week- if this seems like something that would work for you and you'd like more information or have questions I'm happy to help :) 

Summer Rickman
    Hobbs High School
    NM

Attachment(s)

• 10.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-08-2024 04:29

Lots of great advice here so just sharing two things we do with our middle schoolers. I've found allowing them to play with their lines has been helpful. This includes reading through as fast as they can, picking different accents to do it in, or switching roles out. It's gets really fun and competitive.

Carla

• 11.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-09-2024 07:32

I second what Jeff said--writing by hand.  Good old-fashioned flashcards don't work for everyone, but they do work for some.  Often the actual act of making the flashcards goes a long way, even before using the flashcards.  I do sympathize with the sentiment behind the original post.  Current students have not really been brought up in a memorization ecosystem the way that students of the past were. 

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    MI

• 12.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-09-2024 09:21
      |   view attached

I have a couple tricks I use for getting students off book . . . first is Memorization Monday.  If I am expecting students to actively work on memorizing their lines, I think it is only fair to give them time in class or at rehearsal to do so.  It also allows me a day to work individually with students on a small scene or with crew on tech projects.  I have my "line throughs" on a Memorization Monday date that I publish along with the cast list.  That way students know when they are responsible for being off book.  I section the play into chunks, so students are not trying to learn the whole play all at once.  The task is less intimidating if it can be divided into manageable chunks.

The memorization Mondays are organized.  It is not just "free time" to sit around and look at phones or visit.  On the first Memorization Monday I give the Line Flashcard assignment:

To help you memorize your lines, you will create Line Flashcards.  Using 3"x 5" index cards, write your cue line on the unlined side (front), and your line on the lined side (back).  You do not need to write the stage directions.  If the line before your line is super long, only write the last sentence of the character just before your line (the cue words). 

Write your last name on the front of every card.

Write the card number on the front of each card so that each of your lines are numbered in the order they appear in the script. Write #1 on the first card, #2 on the next one, #3 on the next, and so on...  You need the numbers so that, if you drop your cards, you can put them back in order.  

Lastly, write the page number of the script that the line comes from on the back of the card.  This is helpful if you have to look back at the script when you have a question.  

Once you have all the cards written, you will hole punch them in the upper right-hand corner (try not to punch them too close to the edge), and then use a brass brad to secure the cards together. 

On the line through day I grade their cards.  I tell them: First, count the total number of lines you have in the script. Next, create your set of line flashcards, using index cards (one side lined, one side unlined). Each set MUST include:

• Last Name on the front of each card.
    • Card Number on the front of each card.
    • Cue line on the front of each card.
    • "Total Number of Lines" on the front of the first card.
    • Page number on the back of each card.
    • Your line on the back of each card.
    • Hole Punch and brad the entire set.

Turn in your complete, physical set of line flashcards - one for each of your lines - on the assigned Friday.  (This gives me time to grade if necessary)

Each COMPLETED card is worth an even percentage of 100%.

Examples:

If you have 10 lines, and fully complete 8 cards, you will get 80% credit. 

If you have 5 lines, and fully complete 1 card, you will get 20% credit.

If you have 47 lines, and fully complete 44 cards, you will get 94% credit.

Total possible points: 100

On subsequent Memorization Monday's students have options.  They might be continuing to work on their Line Flashcards, depending on how many lines they have.  They can work individually using their cards as flashcards to drill their lines by themselves.  They can work knee to knee with a partner to run lines.  Because the lines are written out, this can either be done with their scene partner or with someone else in the class.  They can use their flashcards in other classes after they finish their work to practice.

Up until Off Book Day (and after we are finished writing our blocking in our scripts) I do allow students to carry their Line Flashcards onstage.  I find it gives young actors confidence to know they have their lines in their hands in case they need them.  After writing them out and practicing, students tend to need their cards less and less. 

Another option I give on Memorization Mondays if for them to use the voice recorder on their phones or Chromebooks to record their cue lines with pauses for them to recite their lines.  This is a great strategy for auditory learners. 

If these suggestions sound good to you and you might like other suggestions like this for the production process, check out my Herding Cats:  Acting Modules on TpT.  From auditions to performance weekly guided instructions for students to follow while you are working with small groups.  It can be a little like Herding Cats : )

Jennifer Luv

Attachment(s)

• 13.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-10-2024 15:06

So much wonderful advice & methods here! The only one I would add is one I have used myself that works SUPER well for me & others I know. 

It's an app called Line Learner! There are a lot of apps, but this one really works for me. 

There are so many options: you can record the cue line (or the end of it) & change the voice, so it sounds like another character, & then record YOUR character's line. 

Playback options include playing the cue line and then:

playing your line, leaving time for you to repeat it, (line-gap)

leaving time for you to say your line, & then repeating your line, (gap-line)

line-gap-line,

gap-line-gap.

You can change the speed of the lines.

You can loop a scene or act or all lines to keep repeating.

You can record & play the stage directions.

You can record it with the other actors saying their lines instead of just you doing it.

You can mark lines you are having trouble remembering.

There are quick start, full instructions, faqs, & video tutorials.

I did it all on my phone & ran lines while driving, on walks, etc. 

I know we advocate less phone & electronic time for students, but this is another choice!

Jacquie Thompson-Mercer
    Retired, Bakersfield High School
    California Educational Theatre Association
    Emeritus Member, California Thespian Board
    Bakersfield, CA

• 14.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-13-2024 09:06

I included three chapters on memorization in my book, "Acting at the Speed of Life," but the one piece that continues to surprise me is just how much of memorization is physical more than mental. Any one of us could probably recite the pledge of allegiance without ever engaging our brain, because the words live in our mouths far more than our brains. (In the same way I can type this message without even thinking about which finger needs to strike which key.)

I've memorized one-man-plays of 9-10 thousand words largely through repetition... (not mindless repetition; I play with various inflections and meanings all the time). But one chunk at a time, I repeat the lines until my mouth knows them better than my brain does. Even when I lose a given word (which still happens, usually from thinking too much), my mouth wants to shape a word very much like that word, with the same number of syllables and a similar vowel. 

Of course this means starting very early and spending a lot of time with the script, but repetition of the same paragraph or page (some three or nine times a day... my magic numbers) can sink those lines into our very muscles.

Tim

Tim Mooney
    TimMooneyRep@gmail.com
    www.TimMooneyRep.com
    www.Moliere-In-English.com
    www.BreakneckShakespeare.com

• 15.  RE: Memorization

Posted 02-22-2024 15:40

Pedro Pascal gave us this fabulous clip to kick off the lesson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXqFRiYABl8&ab_channel=IB

Lesley Ruzon (she, her, hers)
    South San Francisco High School