Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Matilda for High School

Posted 10-07-2021 16:13
    Hello everyone,
    Have you had success performing Matilda with all High School Students?  How did you cast?
    Thank you,
    Melinda

------------------------------
    Melinda Carlson

• 2.  RE: Matilda for High School

Posted 10-08-2021 11:24
    I haven't produced it myself but I've seen it done SPLENDIDLY. It was actually one of my favorite shows I've ever seen done at the high school level.

Elizabeth Fagan, Theatre Teacher
    she, her, hers
    New Mexico School for the Arts
    500 Montezuma Avenue
    Santa Fe, NM 87501

• 3.  RE: Matilda for High School

Posted 10-09-2021 07:51

I directed a high school production of Matilda a few years ago and it went over really well. I cast a small sophomore who happened to be a talented triple threat. It's a fantastic show and if you use the Broadway Media projections it helps with the fast transitions to multiple locations. 

Best of luck,
    Sheila

Sheila Newton
    Performing Arts Teacher/Director
    K-12 Performing Arts Chair
    Mansfield High School
    Mansfield, MA

• 4.  RE: Matilda for High School

Posted 10-13-2021 08:06
    Yes!  We had great success with our high school performance of Matilda.  We simply costumed the adults as adults and the children as children and it worked beautifully.  Easy suspension of disbelief, even with our Matilda being 5' 7"!  Size was only really a consideration in casting Trunchbull - fortunately, we had a female actor with serious pipes who was a large presence physically as well.  Such an awesome show - have fun!

Angela Romeo
    Performing Arts Department Chair
    Mount de Sales Academy
    MD

• 5.  RE: Matilda for High School

Posted 10-13-2021 08:06
    Hi Melinda.  Upland Theatre did "Matilda: The Musical" in February 2020.  My school district, admin, staff, and students still talk about that show.  It was a great success!  It was truly one of our favorites that we have ever produced.  I highly recommend it!  We used middle school and smaller high school students for the little kids. It was a very inclusive and diverse cast.  My Matilda was a senior who was small.  She was amazing! Let me know if you have any questions.  I more than happy to offer guidance and support.

Michele Richardson
    Theatre Director
    Upland High School
    CA

• 6.  RE: Matilda for High School

Posted 03-15-2024 15:09

Was  there any language you had to edit when you did Matilda?

Nicole Martineau
    Drama Teacher
    Mountain Crest High School