Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Low Maintenance musical

Posted 03-06-2024 12:58

Hello,

I am starting to plan next year and need to find a musical that has a relatively small cast with little choreography and music that is not too challenging.

It is a rebuilding year for us and we are just coming off the beast that was MEAN GIRLS.

I have a small mix (roughly six) with two strong males (tenor and baritone).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John

------------------------------
    John Rowe
    Theatre Teacher, Advisor Washington Street Players
    Boise High School
    ID

• 2.  RE: Low Maintenance musical

Posted 03-06-2024 14:06

"The Fantasticks" sounds like a good fit - cast of eight, very minimal in all aspects. MTI holds the rights.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 3.  RE: Low Maintenance musical

Posted 03-07-2024 07:03
    Personally, I love Working, a compilation of characters, great songs and the possibility of multiple roles for as many performers as you have.
    Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Low Maintenance musical

Posted 03-07-2024 07:58

You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown sounds like it could work.

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 5.  RE: Low Maintenance musical

Posted 03-07-2024 08:13
    The musical which my students really loved was "Will Roger's Follies." When we did it one of the custodians who was a rodeo champion in Mexico taught the actor playing Will Rogers how to lasso and spin that rope. 

• 6.  RE: Low Maintenance musical

Posted 03-07-2024 12:01

I would recommend for small cast musicals  Youre a Good Man Charlie Brown,  They're Playing Our Song, 2 characters that each have backup singers,   or with a few more people 25th Putnam.

Greg Newman
    Drama Teacher
    Heritage High School
    CA

• 7.  RE: Low Maintenance musical

Posted 03-14-2024 14:04

Some good choices listed so far.

I'm a retired theatrical designer, and one of the things that's always bugged me is companies that try to mount productions that they don't have the resources for, and then want to make the set "realistic," or, worse yet, try to copy a professional production. Then they end up with a few painted flats and little else. There's no need for this.

The audience will always see what's up there, not what we think is up there.

For instance, one of my favorite musicals is Man of La Mancha. The original Howard Bay set was ginormous as far as the logistics, but all the audience saw was a platform, a grille, and the staircase that came down. That's it. The rest was black; it was a brilliant design. Everything else was props, costumes, and lighting -- plus fabulous acting. Yet there have been numerous productions that had these intricate, Piranesi-like "dungeons" on stage: platforms, doorways, the whole bit. And, if the stage wasn't high enough, a tiny little staircase that probably took up half the budget and looked silly. 

I paid homage to (or maybe I was inspired by?) Howard's set when I designed An Inspector Calls some years ago. It could have been a forty-two foot wide Edwardian dining room where all the action, to speak of, takes place at and around the dining table. Instead, the focus was on the action:

https://georgefledo.net/Inspector%20Calls.htm

Yes we put a lot of work into the details on that back wall, but it didn't need to be forty-two feet wide. The acting filled in the rest.

Any of the musicals listed above, and, yes, even Man of La Mancha, can be staged very simply, using imagination and focusing on the story and the characters. Theatre is not about the sets: it's about the stories.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 8.  RE: Low Maintenance musical

Posted 03-27-2024 16:12

https://www.asjustonelife.com/ for couple of options. All music is digital and licensed for use. You can read full scripts and listen to all songs on website. Economical to stage. 

Steve Pinkerman