Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Line of Communication

Posted 01-22-2019 12:10

Remind 101 has been my go to now for several years to communicate with my students and parents, sending out schedule changes and reminders for upcoming dates, and what not.  Now this service is having conflict with our primary wireless provider in the area, Verizon. We have a Facebook page for the community, but I am searching for a more "immediate family" means of updates. I am looking at some other options out there, apps and whether or not to just go with mega social media platforms, so I'm just curious... what ways do you communicate important and timely info with your cast, crew, and parents? 

------------------------------
    Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 2.  RE: Line of Communication

Posted 01-22-2019 12:31
    The things we use are Facebook groups (not a page, a group) and Remind. When a student headed up a production, she did all her communication via a Shapchat group chat, which worked very well for them (to my old-person dismay).

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Line of Communication

Posted 01-22-2019 15:32
    While I haven't used it for a rehearsal process, I use Google Classroom quite a bit as an LMS and have thought about using it as a digital call-board for communicating with cast members and parents.  Now you only need a Gmail account to set up a classroom.  You could add parents as students to give them the same access or as guardians where they receive an email digest of what is going on in the Classroom. This doesn't have the advantage of a text-like in-app notification, so you may need to supplement with email and or a GroupMe-type texting app.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 4.  RE: Line of Communication

Posted 01-23-2019 16:50
    We use WhatsApp for all communications. The students prefer it and I find they respond most quickly using it.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Line of Communication

Posted 01-23-2019 05:32
    We create a Google Site for each production and share the link with students and parents. We also enter each student and parent into our Theater Gmail account, creating a contact list for cast, crew and parents for each show. 

Students know the site is updated each Sunday, and if we need to make a change, we email any or all of our contact groups. It's a bit of work up front, but makes things so easy for the duration of the show. An added benefit is having all student and parent contacts linked to my phone, so if I am looking for students after school to come early to rehearsal to try on a costume or look for a missing actor, I can text them for  immediate contact with them. 

Jen Stover
    Director, Souhegan Drama
    Souhegan High School
    Amherst, NH

• 6.  RE: Line of Communication

Posted 01-23-2019 09:56

If you're looking for an app that will work similarly to Remind, we like "GroupMe." It's more open than Remind - so I don't recommend it for middle schools.   There is no separate member status for parents - they can join or lurk as they choose and everyone has access to everyone.

But in many ways it is easier than Remind. You can easily text a whole group, small groups, or individuals. You can attach photos or files. It's very easy to create new groups, too - we use it for SETC, for instance, so that we're not cluttering the main department group. 

Ashley Bishop
    Teacher
    Birmingham AL

• 7.  RE: Line of Communication

Posted 01-23-2019 17:02
    Group Me has worked really well for my kids.

Jenni Caruso
    Theatre Director
    Salem High School
    Conyers, GA

• 8.  RE: Line of Communication

Posted 01-25-2019 11:11
    BAND was recommended to us at the Broadway Teacher's Workshop last summer, so we've used it this year with great success. The app works a lot like Facebook, so you can post videos and photos as well as rehearsal schedule. You can also take attendance, create a poll, and have a calendar of events. The chat function works like groupme. It has worked much better than our past communication!

Jamey Wood
    ACTS Director/Academic Dean
    Jamey Wood
    woodstock GA

• 9.  RE: Line of Communication

Posted 02-09-2023 10:04

As an AI language model, I don't have a direct means of communicating with a cast, crew, or parents. However, if you're asking how a person in a leadership role in a theatrical production or another event could communicate important and timely information, here are some common methods:

1. Email: This is a reliable and quick way to reach everyone at once with updates and information.

2. Group Text Messaging: This is another quick way to communicate, especially if you need to send out a reminder or update on the go.

3. Social Media: Depending on the age of the cast, crew, and parents, you may use social media platforms such as Facebook or Twitter to post updates, send out reminders, and share important information.

4. Meetings: Holding regular meetings with the cast, crew, and parents can be a good way to share important information, as well as to get feedback and answer questions.

5. Bulletin Boards: A physical bulletin board or whiteboard can be a great way to post information that everyone can see, such as a schedule or contact list.

6. Direct Communication: Sometimes it's necessary to communicate directly with a specific person or group, either by phone or in person. This is especially important when you need to discuss sensitive or confidential information.

It's important to choose the method of communication that best suits the needs of your group and to make sure that everyone is aware of how they will be receiving information and updates.

Sophia Khan

• 10.  RE: Line of Communication

Posted 02-13-2023 11:37

I use the BAND app and I know many others who do as well. I like that I can upload videos of rehearsal dances, there is a place for documents, I can do a t-shirt or show week food sign-up, I can poll the group, the calendar is right on the app.... just so many things. I also learned recently that a student can call me through the app (handy when they needed an immediate response to something I sent them to get) much like Google phone where they don't have my personal number.

Julie Benitez
    Monte Vista High School
    CA