Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Laramie Project Fence?

Posted 02-11-2024 11:20

Hi, all,

Has anyone built the buck rail fence for The Laramie Project?  I heard of a company that had each cast member lay down a part of the fence to create it, which sounds cool, but I'm not even sure what to ask for at a building supply store.  Thanks for any help you can give.

------------------------------
    Kimberly Taylor
    Piedmont High School
    CA

• 2.  RE: Laramie Project Fence?

Posted 02-12-2024 07:14

Good morning, my technical director used PVC piping to create the fence. We purchased a wood grain looking fabric to glue onto the piping. We only recreated a small section of the fence, so this was a manageable task. 

Matthew Hurley
    Leesville Road High School
    NC

• 3.  RE: Laramie Project Fence?

Posted 02-12-2024 07:27

I love the idea of the cast creating the fence!  I did not do that but we did have a fence that was up center for the entire show.  I can't find any still pictures of it but here is a link to the video for the trailer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sfcTjdptLFa7mnXvcXCoKjnpedNlmmKb/view?usp=sharing

Such a wonderful piece - Break a leg with your production :)

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 4.  RE: Laramie Project Fence?

Posted 02-12-2024 08:15

We built it using these from Home Depot and it looked great https://www.homedepot.com/p/ProWood-8-ft-Landscape-Timber-288731/301802514

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School

• 5.  RE: Laramie Project Fence?

Posted 02-12-2024 09:43

The designer of the most visually impactful set I have seen for Laramie Project used simple ladder-back chairs stacked on one another at various angles to form a fence across the stage, downstage of the playing area.  The audience sat and looked at that "fence" in low light until the actors came in and slowly took one chair each to place on the set, which was made up of several platforms of various heights.  Stunning!   

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    NC

• 6.  RE: Laramie Project Fence?

Posted 02-12-2024 16:56

We used a row of empty chairs to represent the fence.  I didn't want an actual fence on stage because it didn't feel right to me in some way I can't figure out how to put into words.  I preferred to have the audience engage their imaginations to "see" the fence and to thus go more representative with it.

Eric Holsen
    South St. Paul Middle School
    MN

• 7.  RE: Laramie Project Fence?

Posted 02-12-2024 17:05
    A buck and rail fence consists of a series of two poles crossed in an "x" pattern (the buck) connected to a series of poles running parallel to the ground and attached along one side (the rails).  They were used when ranchers couldn't pound or dig posts into the ground.

If you want it actually real and solid, I would get landscape timbers from Home Depot or somewhere like that. They are usually 8 feet long, rounded on two sides and flat on two sides. They could be ripped in half length-wise so you could build the fence showing the rounded edges to make them look more like branches or small trees like would have been used back in the old days in Wyoming.

Carl
    image.png
    image.png

--

Carl W. Rankin, MA

Instructional Coach,

Yearbook, SWCC Ed Classes,

Speech & Technical Theatre

Bedford Community High School

P.O. Box 234, 906 Penn

Bedford, Iowa  50833

712-523-2114

carlrankin@bedford.k12.ia.us

• 8.  RE: Laramie Project Fence?

Posted 02-13-2024 09:07

Here ya go…

https://www.grit.com/farm-and-garden/no-dig-fencing-zm0z21mazbut/

Jas M. Warren Jr.
    Artistic Director / Playwright
    EdTA Theatre Educator Hall Of Fame (c/o 2018)