Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Kate Hamill's Pride and Prejudice

Posted 14 days ago

I'm reading Kate Hamill's Pride and Prejudice with my students and am curious if any of you have directed it at the high school level?  We have a class of 16 with 11 girls and 4 boys so P&P is a good fit gender-wise.  All but one of my students seem excited about it, but I have one who is quite concerned about it feeling "cheap" or just played for the laughs.  She understands that the original story is funny, but sees the added bawdiness as excessive and some of the characterizations as extreme.  I'm not quite sure how I feel about it myself yet.  Would love to hear any perspectives from those that may have done it.  

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Liz Turkel Vose
    Summerfield Waldorf High School
    Santa Rosa, CA

• 2.  RE: Kate Hamill's Pride and Prejudice

Posted 8 days ago
    I did Pride and Prejudice last fall, and I did Kate Hamill's Sense and Sensibility a few years ago, both in high school to great success.

Happy to answer any specific questions you have, but I am a big Kate Hamill fan.   She also has a version of Dracula that looks awesome, and I hope to read her new Scarlet Letter soon.

• 3.  RE: Kate Hamill's Pride and Prejudice

Posted 7 days ago

Hello,

Canadian playwright Janet Munsil has a great script for Pride and Prejudice.  It is very true to the book, but it still moves, never getting bogged down.  Strongly recommend this adaptation.

Joshua Casburn
    Batavia High School
    IL