Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  How bold to be with admin

Posted 02-13-2024 17:30

Variation on a recognizable theme. Advice please:

For the first eight years of my program and through three high school principals (including the current one), our spring play has been presented for two in-school performances and attended by the whole student body.

Now, for the second year, my principal has refused the in-school performances. "I'm not bein' ugly," he said (we are in the South) (the rest is paraphrased but accurate), "but there's too much going on in our schedule with testing, other trips, athletics and so forth, we just can't take another day." 

I'm part time, not tenured, in essence pink-slipped and renewed each year, so I step back from the difficult conversation because I need to keep my job. Instead, I do my best to convey the news to my students in a way they can accept gracefully, and we focus on the public performances.

Today we get a message from the school that because of an early-afternoon "away" basketball game, we will dismiss a half day early so those who wish to attend the game can do so. Reinforcing what my students are already saying and what I'm tactfully not: it's not about the schedule, it's the absence of a scoreboard that decides how much attention a program will get. And after two years of no school show, I grimly fear that this will be the new normal and my theater students will lose whatever credibility they had with the student body because the only ones that will come to the public shows are their friends and family. We get a handful of teachers and a total of zero administrators.

I shouldn't write this now because I'm angry, but this might be the best time. Is it worth asking him "I don't mean to be ugly, but how come basketball gets a half day and theater doesn't even get an in-school field trip?" And since I know that is the absolute wrong way to ask, and since I truly do respect my principal despite our vastly different interests and priorities, how should I approach it with him in a way that will make a difference - even if it's not till next year? Enlist the students and parents? Is that a backstabby move?

I'm glad the basketball team is in the playoffs, but I'm frustrated and feeling helpless as a professional and in my ability to make a difference for my kids. How would YOU proceed?

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 2.  RE: How bold to be with admin

Posted 02-14-2024 09:37
    Oh yes I feel like this is the story of what we are all about although I am a full-time employee and I do teach other Arts courses. But with our newest principal all of the Arts were cut out of the budget we have to fundraise for our own needs. Even stipends for extra duty in the Arts has been cut and yes we are a charter school. Thankfully for music there is a grant that's being used that was voted in last election cycle. But yes that's our same situation; it has been that way throughout many of the nearly 40 years I've been teaching. Competing with sports... sports reign triumphant over the Arts just about every time. ��

• 3.  RE: How bold to be with admin

Posted 02-14-2024 13:19
    I can help a bit with such a frustrating and eternal topic!  Please check out my free Resource Library at: https://www.presett.org/resource-library.html

It includes articles on funding, CTE, safety, and one article is titled: "Coaches; Sports Department vs. Theatre Department".

Best of luck.  Keep up the advocacy – for all of us, and all of our students!

Beth Rand, EBMS

NEW! CruiseTechies blog - learn all about career opportunities for your vocational students in theatres aboard cruise ships
    https://www.cruisetechies.com/cruisetechies-blog

8 FREE Action Steps: Level Up Support and Funding for your school theatre
    https://www.presett.org/8actionsteps.html

JOIN OUR CONVERSATION ABOUT THEATRE OPERATIONS https://www.facebook.com/groups/presett

www.PRESETT.org
    beth@PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 4.  RE: How bold to be with admin

Posted 02-14-2024 13:59

HI

At this point not only are you aware of what the issue is but the students are aware as well. I becomes an issue of standing up for what you believe in and what is important. Theatre needs to be treated like the valuable part of the school that it is.  Have any of your students gone on in theatre? Are there alumni you can get to write letters or speak to the value of the program as a part of their high school career?  Is there a parent who could/would spear head a campaign to get the performances back in the school day. Administrators listen to parents!   This is about  the value of theatre and the students need to see people fighting for it. They are often already considered second class citizens in the school hierarchy and are often bullied just for being theatre students. (There is a thread about this in this community)  When adults put the sports over the theatre they are just reinforcing the idea that theatre does not matter and is not important.  Perhaps trying  to get that message across would help your case. 

That is my two cents. My administrator  tried to riff my position and the parents stood up and saved my jo. Parents have power.

Cathy - I hope you can get the performances Back.

Cathy Archer
    EdTA Member or Troupe Director
    Rutland High School
    VT

• 5.  RE: How bold to be with admin

Posted 02-14-2024 15:30

I would use every avenue available to promote your students and your program. Parents, students (are any of them on the student council?), direct engagement with the principal, school newspaper, support from other teachers, a multi pronged approach to highlight the inequality.

Are the fine arts a requirement for graduation? According to your state Office of Public Instruction are the arts considered a core subject? Do other schools in the area have school performances? You can use that information as possible ammunition in your discussion with the principal.

feel your frustration and am hoping for the best for you!

Stewart Hawk
    Washington State Thespians
    206-465-4568
    stewart.hawk@gmail.com
    http://wathespians.org

• 6.  RE: How bold to be with admin

Posted 02-14-2024 17:41

I am very much angry for you as well.  I will admit that how I would proceed might not be the best measure because if this was my principal, I would be tempted to go full on scorched earth, at least until until my music colleague calms me down.  This is very much an equity issue.  Are there full-time staff who can support you?  Perhaps someone involved with your union that is a bit of a tiger when it comes to equity issues?   You asked if it was worth asking, "I don't mean to be ugly, but how come basketball gets a half day and theater doesn't even get an in-school field trip?"  That is absolutely a fair question.  (This feels very Ricky Bobby from "Talladega Nights", "With all due respect...")  The optics on  this are bad.  I wouldn't hesitate to have the students and parents get on board with this.  I will say that when our stage and green room were being used as storage areas during the pandemic, yet there were funds for a new football field, the reason those spaces got cleared out was because a parent got involved and went to the superintendent.  Full disclosure, we're a small community and they were trying to get a bond passed for new buildings and the parent questioned why they should support a bond if we can't use the facilities we already have.  The rumor is that they told the superintendent they would not only NOT support the bond but would actively campaign against it if our spaces didn't get cleared.  That got much faster action than I got trying to go the diplomatic, team player route.  Best Christmas present I got that year.

Melissa Gibson
    Drama teacher
    Oak Harbor High School
    WA