Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Emergency Sub Plans

Posted 03-12-2024 08:52

Calling all my theatre classroom teachers...what do your students do when you are not there?? I have no textbook, nor does this generation commit very well to a movie (even if it is directly related to what we are doing!) What do you leave for them to do when you are absent, and does any of it happen to be something you can plan for ahead of time to use when you are not expecting to be out?

------------------------------
    Analiese Hamm
    ECS Performing Arts Director
    Echols County High School
    Statenville GA

• 2.  RE: Emergency Sub Plans

Posted 03-13-2024 07:31

Are you a member of the Drama Teacher Academy? They have a whole folder full of emergency sub plans. You might want to look at the EdTA "Click to Teach" lessons as well, which are fairly self-guided. A drama choice board might also work well for your situation, and I feel like there are some sample ones on EdTA.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre, Film, and Communications Instructor
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    Fishersville, VA

• 3.  RE: Emergency Sub Plans

Posted 03-13-2024 08:19

Hi Analiese,

I offer a couple of options for my classes based on the class' focus.

For Drama I (Intro) I usually show a movie along with a short vocab worksheet focusing on technical theatre elements they can identify and/or story elements.  I also use short news articles and op-ed pieces about show business, social/political issues facing arts education, and biographies of famous playwrights and composers.

For Drama II-IV (Intermediate and Advanced) I have them read one act plays.  Examples include: Trifles, any of the Greeks, and No Exit.  I have also had them read at least one act of Crucible, Streetcar, Raisin in the Sun, Proof, Fences, or 12 Angry Jurors, and then finish reading when I return and then stage a scene or two from the reading.

I have also shown films to these older kids, usually DVDs of filmed productions from Broadway (Sweeney Todd, Sunday in the Park with George, and Shrek, have been popular).

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 4.  RE: Emergency Sub Plans

Posted 03-13-2024 10:46

Making a board game in teams of 2 is a pretty good assignment.  Students can model their game after a popular example and use theater terms as the basis for winning a turn.  This can take up to two days and students can play a couple of the games upon your return. 

Michael Johnson
    Teacher
    Trinity High School
    NC