Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Educating students about diversity

Posted 02-08-2023 10:21
    I am  a high school theatre teacher and director in Rutland,Vermont. I have a class in which the students are devising a play which will tie in with our GIN conference this March. The theme this year is water. We are in the very beginning of the process. I have chaallenged the students to develop a beginning idea which will address some aspect of the global issiues that concern water. I have a group of three boys that want to do a post apocliptic world play set in Texas - not sure of the water issue as yet but they have created two Mexican characters. I let them knowthat since we have no Mexicans in the class they would need to change thiese characters. they were most unhappy and cannot see the problem. Not only are there no Mexicans in the class the only person of color is a female who wants to work backstage so will not be acting!!  Thoughts on how to fuirther adress this besides "I am the teacher and I say no"  Trying to make this a teaching mommnet but they are not listening!!  They even suggested that one of the students - who also is not acting -was Mexican - he is from Gaum!!! Gotta love kids!!!  Thank you for any help you can givve. I want to givethe students ownership but.....
    Cathy

• 2.  RE: Educating students about diversity

Posted 02-09-2023 05:29

Potential unpopular thought: What if their plot is addressing the scarcity of water-drinkable water- for immigrants at the Texan/Mexican border? That is incredibly relevant and speaks to the heart of the theme with compassion and grace. 

Rather than teach them to not do a thing, what if you focused on the difference between character and caricature? How to develop a realistic character, avoiding stereotypes and cheap tropes, both a lesson in theatre and empathy. 

------------------------------
    Jennifer Trice
    Theatre Director
    Green Run High School
    VA

• 3.  RE: Educating students about diversity

Posted 02-09-2023 10:05

This made me think of the recent controversies regarding whitewashing, brownface, and casting cisgender actors for LGBTQIA+ characters.  Perhaps a bit of background on that might stir their thoughts?  And to examine exactly what character traits they think they are looking to highlight that might not be LatinX in general or Mexican in particular.  Somany excellent possibilities!  Kudos to you for working through this process with them.

Michelle Van Hoven