Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Discipline and Consequences

Posted 05-20-2022 09:38
    My school has a zero tolerance policy for vaping. At the end of my tech rehearsal (student directed scene showcase), four students reported to me that a castmate had been vaping in the dressing room. (Also behaving disrespectfully to her student directors, bossing castmates around, and using profane language after being asked several times to clean up her mouth.) It's her second large-scale show, and she has a history of discipline issues, and I was hoping she would be more mindful of her behavior once she had something at stake. 

After talking with my principal, she has been removed from the show and suspended. We recast her roles quickly and with no protest or drama from the cast, which reassures me that we made a good decision and will probably end up with a better show. 

For those who have dealt with this before, I'm wondering how to go forward with this student. One semester probation pending a clean behavioral record? Done with her forever? Parent conference? 

She is also slated to be inducted as a Thespian, dues paid and card in the mail. Do I let her keep that?

I want her to find something in theater that will help her re-track her decisionmaking, but I fear she might already be too far in the wrong direction.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 2.  RE: Discipline and Consequences

Posted 05-23-2022 12:36

Hi Josh, that sounds like a difficult situation. Here are some past threads that might give you some ideas about how to handle a difficult situation with a student:

Students alter script intentionally

Suspended Student-Advice

Does anyone else with more experience on the topic have suggestions for Josh?

Arista Hageman
    Website Product Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    OH