Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Costumes - cheerleaders, jocks, poodle skirts HSM Jr.

Posted 02-15-2023 08:20

I'm working on High School Musical Jr. right now at a middle school. Does anyone have any cheerleader, basketball team, or poodle skirts they're willing to part with or rent? I'm in Rhode Island and willing to pay for shipping or make the drive if it's in New England. Also open to suggestions if you know of schools that have done it. Thank you!

ps. The poodle skirts are for my ensemble because I'm setting it during spirit week that's 50s themed. 

------------------------------
    Carla

• 2.  RE: Costumes - cheerleaders, jocks, poodle skirts HSM Jr.

Posted 02-16-2023 14:05

Carla, I discovered years ago that the double-snit polyester that had been donated over the years by women cleaning out sewing rooms made adorable poodle skirts.  I'm talking about the fabric that was popular in the early 1970s.  It hasn't rotted in storage, and it never will.  Lengths of that stuff stored in a garage are still just fine.  If you put out a call for 1970s double-knit fabric through your school's media network, you might have some grannies willing to have to take it off their hands. 

Double-knit measures 60"-65" wide, so if you have 64"+ in length, you can pin a piece of twine to the middle, allowing 2 to 3" along the side for a waistband, tie on a Sharpie, and draw a circle. 

Put a plate in the middle to draw the waist. 

Cut on your markings, then cut a 5" slit for either a zipper or velcro. 

All you need is one person to sew in zippers or velcro and sew on the waistbands.  Double-knit does not fray, and the thickness of the fabric--(which made it like wearing a plastic bag in the early 1970s)--gives it a lovely volume without bulky petticoats.

We made some adorable ones in prints and plaids.  We also made poodle skirts out of felt, which is expensive.  Guess which ones have made it through machine washing multiple times?

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    NC