Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Christmas Plays for High School

Posted 05-19-2022 08:26
    Looking for a Christmas play besides Its a Wonderful Life and Christmas Carol that are good for high school students.  Any good recommendations.

------------------------------
    Tana Brokering

• 2.  RE: Christmas Plays for High School

Posted 05-20-2022 07:01
    Lauren Gunderson has three Christmas plays based on the characters from Pride and Prejudice. It's a trilogy of sorts, but each play can also stand completely on its own:
    - Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley 
    - The Wickhams: Christmas at Pemberley 
    - Georgiana and Kitty: Christmas at Pemberley

Another fun one is The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, by Barbara Robinson 

• 3.  RE: Christmas Plays for High School

Posted 05-20-2022 08:40
    We did A Wicked Christmas Carol by Bobby Keniston last fall. It is the Christmas Carol story but with Wizard of Oz characters. The Wicked Witch of the West is the Scrooge character. Really fun play! I know its basically A Christmas Carol but the twist really makes it different. It is licensed through Playscripts.

Amy Williams
    District Librarian/Theater Teacher
    Thespian Troupe #8881
    Auburn High School
    Auburn, IL

• 4.  RE: Christmas Plays for High School

Posted 05-22-2022 20:58
    I highly recommend The Holiday Channel Christmas Movie Wonderthon …. It's hilarious. It pokes fun at all the Hallmark Christmas Movies. My kids loved being a part of it and the audience really loved it! We did it during COVID & everyone felt it was the perfect show to lift spirits & the decor of Christmas alone always puts everyone in a good mood.

Samantha Roop
    Theatre Teacher/ Play & Musical Director/ Head Coach

• 5.  RE: Christmas Plays for High School

Posted 05-24-2022 11:43
    Hello! I tried to post some suggestions earlier but it looks like the info was cut off. I'll try again. :)

Lauren Gunderson has a trilogy of sorts of "Christmas at Pemberley" shows, all inspired by the characters from Pride and Prejudice:
    Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley
    The Wickhams: Christmas at Pemberley
    Georgiana and Kitty: Christmas at Pemberley
    - Any of the three can be performed individually and are still easy to follow, even if you haven't read Pride and Prejudice before.

Another fun one is The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, by Barbara Robinson (there may be another adaptation out there as well).

I've also seen the play version of A Christmas Story (by Philip Grecian), which was done really well and was very funny and nostalgic. 

Hope this helps! 

Ellicia Elliott (she/her)
    Artistic Director
    The Rude Mechanicals
    Office Phone: 509-557-0768

@rm_theatre