Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 02-20-2024 08:53

So going to the end of the limb here and doing Brothers Grimm.  Have a very diverse group of salty teens. Should pose to be rather interesting.  ANY tips would be great.  We have a massive stage so the minimal set may get beefed up some. Have both short and long throw for projections... but other than that...

------------------------------
    Rebecca Hancock
    Mecklenburg County High School
    VA

• 2.  RE: Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 02-21-2024 08:57

Such a fun show! Still one of my favorites. My tip is DON'T divide the "Actor" part during the Cinderella scene. I have seen some schools do this in order to have more speaking parts (2 sisters, stepmother, prince, etc). It is WAY funnier if the "Actor" plays all the roles as written by Don Zolidis. They are running around the stage and constantly changing costumes. We had a different wig for each sister and the stepmother, a crown, a feather boa for the birds, and a blue dress that the "Actor" wore kind of like a chef apron and then flipped back like a cape for the prince- the one "Narrator" that is onstage during the scene had all the costume pieces on a cart and they threw the needed items at the "Actor" as the scene went on. It was like a juggling act with wigs and crowns... There one part where the "Actor" had both sister wigs, one in each hand, and just switched back and forth as they ran around on the stage. We didn't worry about the wig actually being on properly, they just set the wig on top of their head. The looks and dialogue between the "Narrator" and "Actor" can be super funny if done correctly. My "Narrator" acted like they were having a ton of fun torturing the "Actor" with all the costume changes. The audience was laughing so hard by the end of the scene.

Have fun!!

Amy Williams
    District Librarian/Theater Teacher
    Thespian Troupe #8881
    Auburn High School
    Auburn, IL

• 3.  RE: Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 17 days ago

I agree with keeping the Cinderella Actor one person...the humor in that scene is watching the same actor desperately change costumes. When we performed the show, we divided the Narrator part among six different Narrators.  They all appeared in the beginning and ending scene to narrate, but the individual stories had just one or two Narrator.  This was a great way to get more actors involved in our production.

Rebecca [Reisert
    St. Xavier High School
    Louisville, KY

rreisert@saintx.com