Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Broadway (fabric) flats

Posted 02-16-2024 12:48

Has anyone used canvas or muslin flats in one of their set designs, and if so, are you willing to share pictures? I'm doing a research project on different approaches to set building, and I'm having trouble finding good references images of Broadway flats in use.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre, Film, and Communications Instructor
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    Fishersville, VA

• 2.  RE: Broadway (fabric) flats

Posted 02-17-2024 08:01
    A Raisin In The Sun IMG_8373 IMG_8372
    Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Broadway (fabric) flats

Posted 02-17-2024 09:30
    Cassy, I almost exclusively used flats covered in heavy-weight muslin.  Because they are lightweight, I didn't have to worry about students being hurt while we were building and striking sets, so could use a lot of novice students with a few skilled ones to supervise.

Because we didn't screw into the floor, designing angles was essential for stability.  Those 1' and 18" flats were useful.  I'll pop in several pictures from the school where I taught my last 19 years before retirement. 
    Crimes-6.jpg
    I-CeliaMartha&David1.jpgIMG_20151105_205759445 (1).jpg

• 4.  RE: Broadway (fabric) flats

Posted 02-18-2024 12:11

I used to use Broadway flats almost exclusively for anything and everything I could think of, but since then, Luan has become relatively inexpensive and when I balance the care and impact muslin can take with the long life of a hardcovered flat, I've tended to work in that direction as of late.  I know canvas covered flats can be cared for and last a long time, but in our space, that just doesn't seem to be the case, so I prefer the hard covered stuff whether in Broadway or Hollywood style. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43682280@N06/

Michael Johnson
    Teacher
    Trinity High School
    NC

• 5.  RE: Broadway (fabric) flats

Posted 02-17-2024 12:54
    Almost all our older sets were created with muslin flats. I’ll dig up old pictures and scan them for you. Personally, I love their versatility and lightweight structures. I wont be back to school until Tuesday, so I will get them then.

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: Broadway (fabric) flats

Posted 02-17-2024 14:07

I realized the pictures I posted have walls of just about the same color, so here are a few more.  One of the great things about a well-made Broadway flat is that you can strip off the fabric when it gets too paint-laden and put more fabric on.  That's why I always had students wrap the fabric and staple it to the back, rather than gluing it to the flat edge.

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    NC

• 7.  RE: Broadway (fabric) flats

Posted 02-21-2024 15:48

These weren't for a school, but both sets were built from canvas-covered (Broadway) flats.

The Odd Couple:

Don't Dress for Dinner:

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 8.  RE: Broadway (fabric) flats

Posted 02-22-2024 15:25
      |   view attached

Sorry, the photos didn't load the first time. Here we go...

Don't Dress for Dinner

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 9.  RE: Broadway (fabric) flats

Posted 02-23-2024 08:54

Thank you, everyone, for sharing! Your sets are way more ambitious than mine, and they look awesome!

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre, Film, and Communications Instructor
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    Fishersville, VA

• 10.  RE: Broadway (fabric) flats

Posted 02-25-2024 08:59

Why not attach your fabric to a Periaktoi/Peristyle and get a three-sided backdrop

Allow me to share a true story with you. My daughter approached me expressing her desire to incorporate Peristyles in her upcoming production of Annie Jr the Musical. However, she envisioned them crafted from PVC instead of wood for the sake of lighter weight, ease of mobility, and convenient setup and teardown. The challenge lay in the unavailability of suitable corner pieces or caster adapters. Determined, I took matters into my own hands and crafted the inaugural Peristytle Corner Kits with Caster Adapters. The solution proved so effective that I've decided to offer these kits to all theater groups. If you're intrigued, take a look at my video: https://youtu.be/X5hQpLMne24

And to attach to the PVC here is the PVC fabric clamp - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR56j-Ra_uE&ab_channel=SteveTobis

Steve Tobis