Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Best Tartuffe Script?

Posted 11-28-2022 11:55
    Wondering whether to go original, well, not actually in French... or is there a version that you have LOVED on stage? I have done scenes from Tartfuffe: Born Again by Freyda Thomas, but in its entirety might be a bit too bawdy for our school, but I love the modernity that it brings to the story. Looking for the next school year, so I will have time to order and read through lots of versions...

------------------------------
    Lea Marshall
    Theatre Teacher/Troupe #1429 Director
    Leon High School
    Tallahassee FL
    LeonTheatre.com

• 2.  RE: Best Tartuffe Script?

Posted 11-29-2022 09:45
    I loved the Constance Congdon version.

• 3.  RE: Best Tartuffe Script?

Posted 11-29-2022 09:50
    Hi Lea!
    I'd love to share my "Tartuffe" script with you!  Info here... https://www.moliere-in-english.com/index-bestsellers.html 
    Sample review:
    Mooney's translation may well be the star of the show...a comic theatricality that sweeps through Moliere's panorama of humor--from high to low. Mooney is quite skillful at massaging the iambs and bringing a contemporary twinkle to the choice of words and rhyme.
    (Back Stage West)
    I can email you a perusal copy, or you can find it here: https://www.playscripts.com/play/719 
    I have both a full-length, and a 50-minute version available.
    Best wishes!
    Tim Mooney
    TimMooneyRep@gmail.com

Tim Mooney
    www.timmooneyrep.com
    www.moliere-in-english.com

• 4.  RE: Best Tartuffe Script?

Posted 11-29-2022 15:14
    I love the Richard Wilbur translations.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Best Tartuffe Script?

Posted 03-16-2023 08:11

Hey!

My personal favorite is the Richard Wilbur translation.  I find the jokes are sharp and concise.  When I hear other translations, I miss the Wilbur.

Michael Limone

Sent from Mail for Windows

• 6.  RE: Best Tartuffe Script?

Posted 03-16-2023 13:06

I know some of you are in Nebraska: Midland University is presenting my "Tartuffe" March 23-26. Info here: https://fremonttribune.com/news/local/midland-university-to-present-play-tartuffe/article_8fce2dac-7ada-57a6-a345-adf60c7ef930.html (The director calls it "Dr. Seuss on steroids.")

Tim 

Tim Mooney
    www.TimMooneyRep.com
    www.Moliere-In-English.com
    www.BreakneckShakespeare.com

• 7.  RE: Best Tartuffe Script?

Posted 03-17-2023 19:16

In grad school at UNL I played Tartuffe in the Ranjit Bolt translation. A few years later I played Valère in the Wilbur translation. I really preferred reading and working on the Bolt translation. Two different productions, two different companies, in two different parts of the country but it seemed like the audience responded better to the Bolt. 
         Speaking of Seuss, Mr. Mooney, I auditioned with a cutting of How The Grinch….

Craig Holbrook
    Drama Director

• 8.  RE: Best Tartuffe Script?

Posted 03-30-2023 10:59

That sounds like a fun adventure, Craig! (I went to UNL for my MFA way back in the day...)

If you're ever curious enough to want a look at my version, I'd be happy to send you an e-copy! (that, of course, goes for anyone else who might read this message.)

Tim

Tim Mooney
    www.TimMooneyRep.com
    www.Moliere-In-English.com
    www.BreakneckShakespeare.com