Open Forum

View Only

Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

• 1.  Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-23-2023 12:29

I've never used the EdTA forums before so I apologize if this is formatted incorrectly or in the wrong place but this is honestly my last outlet for advice. As a rising junior in high school, I've had to start considering what I want to pursue post-high school. I've been heavily considering going into theatre education but I keep hitting a troublesome roadblock; there are no undergraduate programs for theatre education nearby me. I'm from north Georgia, and the closest theatre education programs to me are 200+ miles away and not within my budget for college. I'm seeking advice from current theatre educators: What did you do? I know that in order to teach theatre, you don't have to have majored in theatre education, only hold a certification to do so. Any advice or suggestions on this would be incredibly valuable.

------------------------------
    Thank you,
    Farah Jones

• 2.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-24-2023 05:24

Get a degree in an academic subject  or double major in theatre wherever you can afford. Do as many shows as you can. That makes you more marketable. Take appropriate state tests rather than an education degree. You can always get licensed to teach then pursue a masters. I have an undergraduate degree in drama and a master's in literature. Every school I had an interview with wanted the drama but often didn't have a full time position for that. A well rounded theatre tech degree would also make you very desirable in high school theatres.

• 3.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-24-2023 08:20

Based on that discussion, it looks like becoming a secondary English teacher with a theatre minor is the way to go.

If that's not economically possible, become a secondary English teacher and take theatre classes after you've been teaching, perhaps in the summer or online.
    Ok, I am trying to help out one of my alumni students.  He is finishing up his bachelor's degree in Theatre Performance this spring. Now he wants to teach. Geor
    community.schooltheatre.org

Nathan Rosen
    ARL

• 4.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-24-2023 10:03

As a current Theater teacher, whose degree is English, during my interview was rather interesting---"oh hey you're certified to teach English, what about theater?"  Well I did take a few theater courses while in college, I did a lot of theater while at church and as a Camp Director, we had skit nights every Wednesday, so sure I have some theater experience.  Then it was, "Oh wait---you have a Masters in Media, Design and Technology, so you could teach our Tech classes right?" I'm like Masters means research mostly, but yes I do have some experience with teaching software---not building computers, or coding.  

All of this to say, ending my 4th year and starting my 5th year next year --I've taught Theater, Technology, Debate and Musical Theater---as one of the responders has said, the more experience you have, the more willingness to do or try , the more of a team player you portray, and yes I agree go towards a Core subject area (if that interests you) or even a Vocational avenue--that is becoming more and more relevant to schools. 

Good Luck in your Adventures--don't stress too much, things will fall into place when the time is right--don't try to force things into place. 

Lauri Quick, Theater & Debate (Spring)Teacher
    Somerset College Preparatory Academy
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    O. 772-343-7028 ext 276
    F. 772-343-7029

• 5.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-24-2023 10:36

I got my BFA in Theatre and then went on and earned a Masters in Education. 

Alternatively, you could do a double major, so you would graduate with two Bachelor degrees, one in theatre and one in education. 

Many states will allow teachers who are certified to teach English teach Theatre as well. 

Right now, there is a massive teacher shortage in most states, so there's a great big difference Rolf of opportunity for young educators. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors which ever way you go. 

Melissa Wood
    Owner/Director
    The Hive Repertory Theatre
    Rincon, GA

• 6.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-24-2023 11:59
    Aloha from Hawaii, Farah!

First, let me applaud you for finding your passion while you're still in high school. I also discovered a love for the theatre classroom at about your age, as did my son who is now a freshman in college. The rewards are tremendous. As a friend said to me yesterday, "You're changing people's lives."

That said, my path started as a Theatre major in college. I toured in a children's theatre company upon graduation, then wanted more training in order to be a well-rounded theatre educator. At that time I decided an MFA in Acting would be best for me. I started teaching high school about 3 months after receiving my degree. My son is a Theatre major at Cal State Fullerton. The school has plans to offer a Theatre Education program (not sure about a degree - hopefully!).

In your position, you might consider looking for theatre programs in your area. A Bachelor's degree in Theatre provided me versatility in the classroom - from tech classes, playwriting, mask, make-up,  puppetry, voice, movement, and directing, learn as much as you can - it will all come in handy! You might then consider a teaching credential or other grad degree.

My son looked at NC State and UNC Greensboro - both theatre education programs looked great. I know this may be a bit far from you, but investigating different websites might give you an idea of what you may (or may not) want in a program.

Best wishes!
    -Rob Duval

• 7.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-24-2023 12:06

From hanging out in this forum for several years, I agree with Elisabeth that you should get a solid education in the tech aspects of theatre as well as everything else. Many HS drama teachers are expected to design, build, etc., but don't have any training in any of this. Having that as well as the acting and directing will definitely make you more marketable and help you do a better job later.

Good luck! 

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 8.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-24-2023 12:02

Farah, The book Real-World Theatre Education is an excellent place to start discovering what the life of a theatre educator is like. Its early chapters talk about how to decide where to teach, types of opportunities, interviewing prospective schools for a position, even setting up your classroom and program. It then moves season by season, telling you what to expect as your first year continues. Not lesson plans, but dealing with all the things invisible to students, like competing with other theatre users for space; angry parents; managing multiple course levels at once; fund raising; etc. It not only includes "real world moments" anecdotes and "what-if" scenarios but also has a robust appendix of templates and forms to customize and use.  Since you're likely to be the only theatre person at a school, you may also find Teaching Tech You Never Learned and Theatre Safety Guide to be valuable. 

Good luck on your journey!

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://EducationalStages.com
    https://bit.ly/RWTEOview
    https://bit.ly/eTeachTech

• 9.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-24-2023 13:04

Hi Farah,

The most streamlined path is to pursue a theatre education degree.  Piedmont College in N. Georgia offers a theatre education.

https://www.piedmont.edu/program/drama-education/

The other university that offers theatre education in the state is Columbus State University.

I hope this is helpful...good luck to you in your journey!

Tracey Buot
    Director of Theatre
    St. Pius X Catholic High School
    Atlanta, Georgia

• 10.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-24-2023 13:04

Good for you on your career choice!

I agree with George, get a solid footing in tech!

A lot of new Drama teachers don't realize that a lot of schools will require them to teach the tech classes, not only the acting classes.  And a lot of schools don't realize that while a Drama teacher may have had tech class requirements in order to complete their degree, those few classes aren't necessarily enough preparation.

In addition, most high schools these days also require the (already busy!) Drama teacher to be the Theatre Manager as well. (Which really is a different vocation, but too many schools don't get that.)  Which is a different kettle of fish, requiring knowledge in theatre and education as well as business.  And I don't know of any undergrad degrees that include Theatre Management as one of their courses. (My undergrad degree is in Drama, but my Master's degree is in Entertainment Business - sort of like an MBA for the entertainment industry.)

That's why I developed the High School Theatre Management Training course!  Cohort 6 just started on the 22nd, but "due to popular demand" (as they say), I've just opened up Cohort 7, starting on March 8th.  You'd be welcome to join us.  Info is on my website (in my signature line below).

All the best, and I applaud your forward thinking!  This EdTA Forum will soon become your first outlet for advice!

Beth Rand, EBMS

THEATRE MANAGEMENT COURSE for Drama teachers
    Tech theatre books
    Free downloads
    NEW: TECHIE T-SHIRT SHOP!

www.PRESETT.org
    RandCDLLC@gmail.com
    Westminster, CO

• 11.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-25-2023 03:26

Hi Farah!

I started my career as a music teacher, it wasn't until much later that I pursued Theatre. I will echo several others here. Pick something that is related since many times, theatre positions are not full-time. I have been very fortunate to have found full-time theatre positions both in and outside of the US. If you have the education degree with a minor in theatre or have taken theatre classes, you can get certified in Theatre.

And also (as others have said), get involved with local programs to get experience and learn all that you can!

Joshua Watters
    Mr.
    TX

• 12.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-25-2023 14:53

Farah - Every state has different requirements for teaching credentials. If you plant to stay in Georgia, make sure you know their requirements. If you want to consider living and working in another state, make certain you understand their requirements.

Eric Engdahl
    California Educational Theatre Association
    CA

• 13.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-25-2023 15:35

Private schools, religious schools, Dept of Defense schools, international schools all hire theatre educators, and their hiring requirements are often more flexible than state public school requirements.

I started with just my BA (and summer camp experience) via a teacher placement agency (the school pays the fee when they hire through the agency). Here are some.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://EducationalStages.com
    https://bit.ly/RWTEOview
    https://bit.ly/eTeachTech

• 14.  RE: Advice on Becoming a Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-25-2023 15:10

Hi Farah,

What is your dream job? What do you most love about theatre? And theatre education? What grades would you like to teach? At a school, university, non-profit, non-traditional setting? Who do you most admire in the field or if you could have someone mentor you, who would it be? This might help you discover your interests even more to help you make decisions! There are many routes into theatre education. Great advice from a lot of people here. Happy to hop on a phone or zoom call with you! 

Best,

Desi

www.drdesicameron.com

Dr. Desi Cameron
    www.drdesicameron.com