Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tech Theatre "Alternate Assignment"

Posted 09-08-2017 13:26
    Students who sign up for my tech theatre class become the crew for our shows.  They have to work tech week and all performances.  In the past if those students couldn't commit to those dates, they didn't take the class and joined another time.  For the first time my admin is not allowing students to drop the class, even those students who didn't sign up for the class in the first place.  As a result, I have students who will be out of town or have jobs and won't be available after school.  My admin is asking me to give them an "alternate assignment."  Well, here is where I'm picking everyone's brain.  How do I replace the authentic experience of teching a show for what, 60 hours?  Suggestions?
    I don't want to punish kids who have real conflicts, but I also don't want to see droves of students asking for this alternate assignment.  I'm open to ideas.  Grrr.

------------------------------
    Robin Caporuscio
    Armada, MI

• 2.  RE: Tech Theatre "Alternate Assignment"

Posted 09-08-2017 17:12
    Is the requirement in the course description that your district puts out? It is in ours and I use that to hold to the requirement that students need to tech a show to pass the course. One way I get around the issue with students who have conflicts is to offer them the opportunity to tech 1 production of their choosing but they must choose 1 in the semester they are taking the class. I have a variety of types of shows and have everything from a single night's commitment for an improv show to a few night commitment for the night of one acts to the full 2 week commitment that is required for the main stage performance. The students are given all possible teching dates within the first 2 weeks of school and I tell them that I am happy to contact their bosses (if necessary) to confirm that this is a school requirement to help arrange for them to get necessary time off.

All that being said... I don't think you can "replace" the experience the students will get by having a true show under their belts. Instead, for the kids who truly can't make it (and I'd required written proof from the appropriate adult to allow the alternative assignment) have them individually read, analyze, research, design (all elements including set, sound, lighting, costumes, set dressing, etc) and create a written proposal to produce a full length show you assign to them. This will take a great deal of time and hit many elements (academically at least) that they would see and/or experience when working a live show. It's not perfect but it should be enough of an assignment to "balance" the time that would be spent in rehearsal - especially since rehearsals always have a fun element to them and a project of this nature will lack that. Hopefully that will help encourage the students to participate in the productions rather than the alternative assignment.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Tech Theatre "Alternate Assignment"

Posted 09-08-2017 17:23
    A few ideas:

1. Have them sign up to tech with another show in your community or at another school that is coming up within the grading period. Something that you know the director or teacher involved and can make a stop by back stage to see how they are doing and can go see the show to see their work in action.

2. Have students sign up for a certain number of hours supporting a different event with similar work to technical theatre. In the past I have used a local library event, elementary school art showcase night, an elementary fall festival event, and church events as alternatives with enough similarities to the specific standards I am assessing when students can't commit to what is going on within our own program. If the student can explain how this work meets the same standards I am assessing via an essay, self evaluation,... and I can personally verify that they have actually done the work in a way that is safe, professional, and meets my expectations by contacting another teacher or someone in the organization they are working with then I have on occasions allowed this type of thing. 

3. Depending on the standards you are assessing, perhaps make these students the publicity team for the show. Set up parameters for this and the expectations of time spent on it outside of class. This could be hanging flyers locally and on campus, designing promotional campaigns for your school (like lunch promotions, closed school tv commercials,...) and even beyond (contacting local media to set up cast going on the news, calling radio stations to ask about personalities promoting the show,...).  All of this work is in preparation for the production and doesn't require after school time spent on campus or at certain set times, but allows flexibility of time spent based on the student's schedule. 

4. Have the students be required to design their own alternative project. Give them a list of what you plan to assess students who are able to be there for the show on, and ask the students to design a project that you would be able to assess. Have them revise the self-designed project as many times as it takes to meet your approval, with your guidance of course. Students should always be a part of the process of creating their assessments any way and by putting it back on them, it puts the ball, and the work, in their court. Each student could come up with their own individualized plan and find some interesting or unique things to do, and of course you would have final say on approval, but as long as you are able to get the information you need to assess them, then this could work well. Some kids who might otherwise try to get out of teching the show for a not legitimate reason, may be annoyed at having to not only do an alternative project, but also having to design it themselves to meet all of the items being assessed, perhaps enough so that it's not worth it for them. That would leave you only doing this with students who really need it.  

Lastly don't forget, our job is to evaluate students based on mastery of standards being assessed. Focus on how you can assess the standards for these students as you find your alternative assignment and you'll figure out the best plan.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida State Junior Thespians
    District 10 Chair

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 4.  RE: Tech Theatre "Alternate Assignment"

Posted 09-14-2017 12:46
      |   view attached
    It is part of our course description that students must dedicate to working a minimum of 1 show per semester outside of classroom hours. I reiterate this heavily in my syllabus and parent/student contract. However I also state that just like sports, you need to be academically eligible (GPA is 2.0 or above) to work a show and also in good standing in regards to behavior. I assign a rigorous 3 part independent project to students who are not eligible, are not in good behavioral standing, OR who due to a job or other extreme scheduling conflict cannot work show.

I'll admit, some students who get assigned this project blow it off completely or only complete some of it. That's on them, and not turning in this project or turning it inincomplete typically results in a big dip in their grade as Production Work and it's replacement project are worth 25% of their semester grade. But students who really want to work tech but just can't are usually motivated and complete the project and get good scores. So understand that you may not always get the reults you're hoping for.

I've attached a version of this assignment. Feel free to employ ot modify.

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

Attachment(s)

docx
    Alt Tech project.docx   16 KB 1 version