Open Forum

View Only

Thank you gifts?

• 1.  Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-12-2017 11:14
    Do you do thank you gifts for those who help with your production? Parent producers, dads who help with constructions, parents who head various committees (hospitality, concessions, etc). We do, and it all tends to happen on closing night, which adds a half hour to our show, keeping the audience hostage.

I feel it's excessive and should be done in a different way. I, personally, don't even like the director's gift being presented onstage- heck, I've even asked for the director's gift to be eliminated altogether, as it comes out of the money our parent producers ask for as a part of the "production package," which means that the kids are, as a result, contributing whether they feel like saying "thank you" or not.

There's always a lot of hushed running around the last 2 days of the show to get kids to sign this and that. The producer in charge of procuring the gifts has to run around to buy flowers or candy or design a scrapbook page. It just all seems excessive and something I don't think the audience really needs to sit through.

Looking to see how it's done elsewhere so that I have something to go to my parent producers with.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 2.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-12-2017 15:55
    It's a tricky question, and one that depends more on the pulse of your students and sponsors than your own personal preferences, I venture to think.

I'm all for eliminating those kind of things at a production. The thanks are in the attendance and participation, and in enjoyment of the show. Honors, thanks, and gifts get saved (in my program) for the end-of-year drama banquet, when people come expecting that kind of ceremony.

That said, if the majority of your people enjoy and rely on your current ritual as an important part of the process for them, I'd advise against eliminating it suddenly. You might try phasing it out bit by bit, keeping your student/sponsor leadership in the process so they understand and agree, till the only parts left are the arts you think are appropriate for the circumstance.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-12-2017 23:26
    I'm a huge fan of video thank you notes. They can be as simple or as professional as you'd like. Personally, I like to include a mixture of footage from rehearsals and the actual production, as well as behind-the-scenes (ex. backstage) footage and interviews with students about how much the experience has meant for them. I keep all of that footage the same for every thank you video and then include a quick individual message at the end for the volunteer. This can be as easy as having the entire cast/crew come together for ten minutes, so that they can stand in front of a camera and say "Thank you, Mr. Smith!" and then "Thank you, Ms. Jones!" and then "Thank you, Mr. Miller!" until you've run out of names. Or you can have a particular student give a more detailed message about why that donor's/volunteer's contribution mattered so much. Upload the videos to a platform like Vimeo so that volunteers/donors can download them whenever they choose (and make sure to include download instructions in your email for the less tech-savvy).

Here's a thank you video we made for Voya when they donated $10,000 to our classroom for a filmmaking lab. We screened this thank you video at Voya's annual conference in Las Vegas, and it was shown many times to their friends, families, and co-workers (which also increases recognition for your school's drama department!).

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 4.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-13-2017 08:08
    We hold a Green Room Reception in our commons area following the Opening Night of each show. Parents decorate and organize savories and sweets (supplied by each Thespian involved with the productions). The audience and parents are invited to mingle with the cast and the students recognize and thank the adults who guided and helped them with the production. It is a really nice event and also serves as a kind of Opening Night cast party that everyone can attend.

Jill Campbell
    Pine Grove Mills PA

• 5.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-13-2017 06:42
    The thank you gifts/notes are a nice appreciation, but should definitely be done behind the scenes.
    As an audience member, I don't want to see this, give flowers and thanks behind the scenes, they shouldn't take more than a minute at the backstage, if you need more have a year end banquet. I do feel that directors should at least provide a thank you card for the hard work, this needs to be to all cast and crew and personalized, but beyond that everyone is there performing a labor of love and the applause at the end of the show should be enough.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 6.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-13-2017 07:56
    We don't do gifts. In special cases I will ask student leaders to make a card. We also do not allow onstage speeches (but i don't think it would occur to the kids at this point).

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 7.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-13-2017 07:59
    ​I agree with what others are saying.  The audience - at least 90% of them - do not want to see all that.  They came to be entertained and don't care that Alice helped sew a dress.  Our producer generally gives a thank you note and a small token associated with the show to our main crew heads (stage manager, costume designer, etc.) and major parent volunteers (head of bake sale, elementary cast coordinator, lobby decorator) and I believe all of those people also get a free show shirt and tickets to the show.  I agree with the hand written thank-you note as well.  But all BEHIND THE SCENES.

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 8.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-13-2017 09:07
    To me the answer to this question is simple: NO ONSTAGE THANK YOUs.

The audience did not pay for or sign-up for this sort of thing. If I am in the audience and this starts I simply leave. I realize this probably makes me look like a jerk but my time is valuable to me.

I try to provide my thank yous before the show opens -- maybe on opening night. 

If the cast wants to give me something special they do it at the warm-up on closing night.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 9.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-13-2017 10:19
    We do not do any onstage thank yous either. There is an area in our program that recognizes sponsors (and I count any adult who donates their time or money in this category). 

While the thank you's matter to the people involved in the program/production, they become very annoying to the general audience member... at least in my school. We do specific thank you's at our night of inductions, honors and awards ceremony in spring.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 10.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-13-2017 15:40
    I have directed shows for 30 years. m  we thank them in the program, and if kids feel it needed,
    they will offer a token at cast party...never onstage at end of show.

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 11.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-14-2017 05:57
    So many things are done for kids these days, and in theatre, students actors especially tend to forget how hard the kids work on the crew. I don't organize thank yous. Our seniors do. They give chocolate to crew members and flowers to director and tech director. Since we are a small school it never takes more than a few minutes and the parents love watching their children learn how to eloquently express their gratitude.

Sent from my iPad

• 12.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-14-2017 07:42
    Thank you gifts are a part of our closing night tradition.  I thank people in the program, but the adult professionals (music director, choreographer) who work on the show always get called up on stage at closing night and are given some token of the cast's esteem.  It takes two minutes and doesn't put any undue stress on the audience.  I've seen things take much longer in other schools, and I can see why some programs have done away with the practice.  
    Thank yous for crew leads, booth crew, etc. are handled behind the scenes.

Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 13.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-14-2017 08:40
    The program I inherited does thank yous to the directing/producing team at closing night curtain call.  They recognize the directors (most of the time these are their fellow students), technical directors, and the producer (usually me).  It takes no more than about 5 minutes.  And since I am usually the last person to be thanked, it gives me a chance to invite them back for the next show, as well as to thank them for the support they have shown the students.  

The gifts are usually a $10 gift card and flowers, along with a signed card from the cast and crew..

I am ok with this process, especially since it takes so little time.

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Schererville IN

• 14.  RE: Thank you gifts?

Posted 11-14-2017 10:56
    I give thank yous in the program for parents that helped out (I have a very small number of parents that actually help). Then, at the end of the year banquet, I do any special awards or thank yous. I already have a hard time getting people to leave after a show and don't want any reason to keep them later than curtain call. If I have a particular parent who has done a lot, I'll have the kids sign a card and give it to them in person with a small gift card (out of my own pocket). I've done this for parents that I call "show saviors" that step in and take care of something that I couldn't otherwise do, like loan us all of their powertools to build the set because we're not allowed to have them.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL