Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  THESE SHINING LIVES

Posted 05-24-2017 03:52
    I have been hearing a great many accolades for THESE SHINING LIVES. I don't know the play at all. Where may I find it? And who licenses it?

Thanks!
    Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas High School

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: THESE SHINING LIVES

Posted 05-24-2017 09:53
    Compared to Radium Girls (which is also an excellent play that focuses more on the legal aspects and the company's attempt to evade responsibility ) TSL is a more intimate play that focuses on one character in particular and how her life is affected. I think it's a more emotional and character-driven play, but it's a much smaller cast. I personally wouldn't add more actresses (they would just be in the background) but I'm certain other directors could make that work. Depending on your needs, either one would make a good choice!

Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
    Dramatists remove preview
    Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
    "[Marnich] has an ear for warm, natural dialogue that eschews snarky quips and truisms...the play's linguistic honesty satisfies." -Time Out Chicago. "...has a humanistic glow...clockwork precision...an initially comic and ultimately tragic look at how individual women find employment within a system more concerned with profit than safety." -Variety.
    View this on Dramatists >

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: THESE SHINING LIVES

Posted 05-25-2017 08:57

When we did it I added to the cast. Historically there were 13 women in the lawsuit so we put 13 women in the work room. The main characters sat at the table center but there were three other tables with working women painting clocks. I thought it helped. They reacted to the conversations as people would. When the shop manager came in periodically with announcements they were given to the room. Each character reacted individually. In the second act the characters report on other people in the workroom who have become sick or died. We played that by having characters leave the stage. The play begins and ends with what I liked to call a litany. Each of my characters took a line. I found it very effective.

Nell