Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Seeking Play Suggestions

Posted 04-01-2018 20:46
    I am a student director looking for a play I could easily produce my senior year. I'm thinking a cast between 4-12. We have a pretty even split between men and women. I considered The History Boys and Peter/Wendy. I'm hoping for something that allows somewhat inexperienced actors to grow. I'm also hoping to avoid anything to <g class="gr_ gr_451 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="451" data-gr-id="451">preach-y</g>. I recent years my school has produced Anne Frank, Musical Comedy of Murders and Steel Magnolias. Can anyone offer any help? I'm pretty much at a loss at this point. Thank you.

------------------------------
    Kim Halm
    Normal IL
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Seeking Play Suggestions

Posted 04-02-2018 10:32
    "Bang, Bang, You're Dead," is the first play that I teach to my Drama One classes every year. It is very powerful and engaging. It's also, as I recall, royalty free. I would have a counselor talk to the students before signing off on the play, arrange a talkback for after the show, and insist on a strong director's note in the program if they have one, or posted in the lobby if not. It's an amazing show that makes a fabulous point without being gratuitous. It also disavows the "school shooters must be the victims of bullying" myth by showing what the shooter had going on in his mind.

"There's only us, there's only this: 
    Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. 
    No other path, no other way. No day 
    but today."
    -Jonathan Larson
    "Rent"

Disario, Jodi
    Drama Teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org