Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Hunchback of Notre Dame musical

Posted 08-31-2017 14:37
    Has anyone done this?  What makes it PG (according to MTI)?  from what I can hear of the soundtrack it seems to "feel" like Beauty and the Beast.  Is this the Disney cartoon on stage?

Thanks,
    Holly

------------------------------
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 2.  RE: Hunchback of Notre Dame musical

Posted 08-31-2017 15:57
    I didn't do it but I saw it done (really well too) at ITF in June. It was basically the same as the cartoon. I can't remember who did it though. Hopefully they will see this post and give some more info. There are some major tech requirements but, if you can handle them, I'd recommend it. It was a great show and should be a good money maker with the name recognition. I'd guess it's PG because of the combination of Frollo attempting to blackmail Esmeralda into bed, the various deaths and possibly the fact that it discusses religion?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Hunchback of Notre Dame musical

Posted 09-01-2017 07:25
    I saw this done in Utah. It is dark, really dark. It was not like the movie, l would never do this in a high school.

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Hunchback of Notre Dame musical

Posted 09-01-2017 10:07
    I saw it at ITF this summer too. I thought it was a beautiful production, and offers great opportunities for choral programs and theater programs to combine. It was very similar to the disney story line, but I did not feel like it was a disney movie on stage. It was very mature, and I suppose the PG rating comes from subject matter. It does have dark moments. If I weren't at an all girls school this show would definitely be on my list. Personally I think you also need a theater/budget that allows for the magnificent bells. I think they are essential to the show, and can't imagine a production without them.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 5.  RE: Hunchback of Notre Dame musical

Posted 09-01-2017 12:22
    Hey all, this is John Morris.  I designed the lighting for Hunchback of Notre Dame, and provided technical assistance for the tour.  

It is a full-on Disney musical, but it has a wonderfully theatrical edge to it that takes it a bit beyond the hokey, revisionist-history reputation of the Disney show.  I don't know why you wouldn't want to produce this show if you have the technical expertise, budget and performers.  However, it is difficult to stage, and I don't know how you would do it without the bells being a central scenic feature.  There are bells available to rent, I believe.

It sounds like Beauty and the Beast because the music is by Alan Menken.  Be careful, many of these songs are ear worms.  :^)

It's rated PG because it is "explicitly implied" that Frollo assaults Esmerelda (careful staging keeps this PG), and, unlike virtually all other Disney shows, the protagonist actually dies a relatively accurate death, like in the actual story. The ending can be quietly affecting.   This production gives a lot of opportunity to expand the cast, or would play just as well in a smaller theater with a smaller cast.  It is musically more difficult than most musicals done in high school, but there are also a ton of resources from Disney Theatricals and MTI to help you.

I had a blast working on the show, and I think it showed beautifully in the Lied Center in Lincoln.  This photo is from the revival of the production prior to the Festival, in the Lowden Theater for the Performing Arts on the campus of Las Vegas Academy of the Arts in Las Vegas.

John
    Quasimodo unknowingly woos Esmerelda high above Paris in the bell tower of Notre Dame.

John Morris
    Instructor/Technical Director
    Las Vegas Academy of the Arts/Clark County School District
    Las Vegas NV

• 6.  RE: Hunchback of Notre Dame musical

Posted 09-01-2017 12:47
    Hey All,

John Morris messaged me and asked me to chime in to the discussion regarding The Hunchback Of Notre Dame.   I directed the All State Honor Production from Nevada that went to the Festival this summer.  We really went all out technically because we had an incredible team, performers, and knew we were going to be adjudicated for festival.  The script and score are beautiful.  Especially the script.  It is one of the most well developed musical scripts I have worked with in a while.  It has opportunity for challenging and dynamic acting for multiple male and female characters.  It is vocally challenging, but not above the abilities of high school performers.  The ability to include your choir and orchestra was one of the things that really drew me to the piece.  The possibilities are endless from the congregants  and gargoyles all being played by a small ensemble, to a gigantic choir separate from a large ensemble of actors.  As some have said before, the bells are a central figure in the show, to me really a character, but there are options out there, and it is worth the effort for your students to work on this beautiful piece.  Just my 2 cents!

Jennifer Hemme
    Green Valley Theatre
    Henderson NV

• 7.  RE: Hunchback of Notre Dame musical

Posted 09-02-2017 12:04
    I saw Hunchback done at the Children's Musical Theatre of San Jose this summer, with students from 14-20. The assault was so "implied" that my 10 year old completely missed it. She just asked why her brother (Frollo) was being so mean to Esmerelda. 

The show has so many great lessons about celebrating who you are and not being afraid of what people think of you, and othering/bullying. I think my favorite though, was that Frollo (yes, I'm somewhat biased) managed the really difficult tiptoe of the disdain for Quasimodo while having love in his heart that he wanted desperately to deny but couldn't help. THAT was a great talking point in the car on the way home.

I would COMPLETELY do this show if I had more than a cafetorium to work with...and if it hadn't been done so brilliantly in my town so recently.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 8.  RE: Hunchback of Notre Dame musical

Posted 09-02-2017 15:17
    I have to echo everything that's been said so far. We did the show last year.  Besides the beautiful score, powerful story, and the many opportunities for students (we had a cast of 90) it was the message that really drew me - that we are all both capable of and entitled to love and respect. Regardless of who we are, where we come from or what our limitations may be- is truly a message for our times. While the staging is challenging, it is very doable.  We had a set of bells specially made and they are available to rent along with the costumes. In terms of the shows dark tone, it is no more so than Les Mis or Phantom. I would be happy to speak with you more about the show if you are interested in what we did. You can see pictures on our webpage and clips from our production on our YouTube channel. It really is theatre at its best: engaging, educational, thought-provoking, and relevant.

Ron Parker
    Appleton North High School
    Appleton WI
    Home  (Appleton North Theatre homepage

• 9.  RE: Hunchback of Notre Dame musical

Posted 09-28-2017 21:15
    This musical is far from beauty and the beast 
    It is absolutely dark mainly in the music and tone but the subjects of lust are adressed as they were slightly were in the movie. The show itself doesn't feature a ton of dark themes it just has a very dark tone and the music is very complicated. There are very few light hearted and fun songs and the roles of the gargoyles are no longer comedic. Still when done right Hunchback has phenomenal unparalleled music and is really quite a show. If your ok with a darker more on the line of PG-13 tone and a real challenge I would full heartily recommend this musical

Taylor Lockhart
    Floyds Knobs IN