Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Social Media Policies for Thespians??

Posted 03-04-2018 20:15

I have a question for everyone because I don't know where else to go with this.  

Do any of you have strict policies in place regarding social media?  Specifically "finsta" (or fake Instagram) accounts.  

The problem is, these accounts are private and you have to be added by the account owner.  But they have become a breeding ground for negativity when it comes to people complaining about how a show is cast, or talking about other thespians.  The reason it's an issue is if all of the students stick together and don't show me hard evidence, I'm only hearing second hand what people are posting.  

Anyone else having this issue?  

I have to admit, the students are becoming more self-centered and less of a family as the years are going by and I need to take action before things get worse.  
    Thanks in advance for any replies. 

------------------------------
    Chuck Yarmey
    Advisor/Technical Director
    Wyoming Area Drama Club
    Thespian Troupe 4795
    Exeter PA

• 2.  RE: Social Media Policies for Thespians??

Posted 03-05-2018 08:32
    I am not aware that we  have this problem although now I wonder. My senior students so that it is not a problem like you describe.

Although I have noticed an increased rate of selfishness among some of my students including seniors only wanting to be involved if they have a lead role. 

I do not have an official policy but maybe I should!  I talk all the time to my students and casts about the importance of being positive on social media.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 3.  RE: Social Media Policies for Thespians??

Posted 03-05-2018 09:10
    An interesting question. I know we have some "drama" running through the club occasionally, but to my knowledge none of it is social-media-based.

I like to start my classes with a brief current-events discussion at least once a week, so this will be a great topic for one. Maybe I'll find that I should be instituting some "soc guidelines" - if not for this year's kids, which seem to operate very well together, then for the future.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: Social Media Policies for Thespians??

Posted 03-05-2018 09:19
    I would make it a clear expectation that cast and crew mates must respect each other. Shows are built on trust; if members can't trust each other they will never take risks in rehearsal, coordinate well backstage, or be successful with a show. Any disrespect or negativity that breaks that trust is grounds for dismissal, whether in person or online. This could be part of a written cast/crew agreement that you have each member of the show sign before starting rehearsals.

Ben Cossitor
    Drama Director
    Altoona Area High School
    Altoona, PA

• 5.  RE: Social Media Policies for Thespians??

Posted 03-05-2018 10:14
    We created the attached Code of Ethics for all Thespians to adhere to.
    We also created the attached "10 Rules for Social Media" which we created for all five high schools in our district.
    You are all welcome to use either or both as a template for your own troupe.

Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair & Director, Westmont High School
    Campbell CA

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: Social Media Policies for Thespians??

Posted 03-06-2018 06:39
    I've been having similar issues with my band students. Seniors expect preferential treatment and start whining and planting seeds of sabotage among other students. I've developed a handbook and will be adding general behavioral expectations to it. I haven't experienced this same attitude in our drama club; but, for plays, I have created a contract which students and parents sign. It lays out expectations for what accepting a role means, be it cast or crew. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CieJoAp0j7MpxKjGLWyvjo11J5M57gTRKHJaqYlpr2w
    I'll leave the link available for another year or so.

Robert Lussier
    Drama Club Advisor
    Hanover Area School District
    Hanover Twp. PA

• 7.  RE: Social Media Policies for Thespians??

Posted 03-06-2018 09:08
    ​We too have a policy surrounding social media. We also preach to the strength of the cast is everyone working together towards the common goal of an outstanding production. If it gets too out of hand, we will notify the school counselor and get them engaged in the situation.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School