Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Safe maskless solutions

Posted 03-13-2021 14:32
    We are starting work on a production of Heathers in a couple of weeks and are currently being asked to keep our actors masked throughout. I’m wondering if anyone has come up with safe solutions that allow unmasking at least during solos? We will also likely not be performing to a live audience so could pre-record. I appreciate any outside the box —or plexiglass box suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Safe maskless solutions

Posted 03-14-2021 07:09
    What we've done this year is that all rehearsals were done with masks or face shields.  Of course we also do temperature checks, etc at the start of each rehearsal. We've also had ample hand sanitizer, etc.   For dress rehearsal and actual show the performers had their masks off while on stage only.  Once backstage they had to immediately mask back up and so we had a person in charge of that too.  It's worked out well for us with four different shows this season so far and no cases.

------------------------------
    Jason Lehman
    Jackson High School

• 3.  RE: Safe maskless solutions

Posted 03-14-2021 16:58
    Unfortunately, if the performance is indoors, there are currently no safe "maskless" solutions.  It is also important to remember that no face shield (or plexiglass) can replace mask use as it does not serve the same function.  I had a student ask me about this, recently, and they pointed out that film and tv actors are often appearing maskless, and that many of them have returned to filming in the studio etc.  We talked about how, in those cases, not only was every person off-camera wearing a mask, but the actors were required to be tested daily and remain in isolation during the filming etc. - conditions that are just not reproducible for high school students.

Guy Barbato, M.S.
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Leonardtown High School