Open Forum

View Only

Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

• 1.  Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 04-29-2018 21:57
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have the resources for a box set.

------------------------------
    Chris Briante
    Theater Faculty
    The Masters School
    Dobbs Ferry, NY

• 2.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 04-30-2018 07:22
    Absolutely Murder or Done to Death

Amber Perkins

• 3.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 04-30-2018 07:26

​Ax of Murder!  My kids had a blast with this one.
    Also, we loved Nooses Off.

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 4.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 04-30-2018 08:26
    I should have mentioned before that this would be for <g class="gr_ gr_25 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="25" data-gr-id="25">a HS</g> production.

Chris Briante
    Theater Faculty
    The Masters School
    Dobbs Ferry, NY

• 5.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 04-30-2018 08:40

You might consider "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". It was a challenge for my group, but it did accommodate a very large cast. And the audience gets to pick how the mystery ends, which was great fun!

• 6.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 04-30-2018 08:57
    Yes, if you're open to a musical, DROOD is a blast. There is a little bit of language and an "opium den" scene, so heads up on that. Your leads have to be up to the challenge of preparing for the multiple endings, because the audience really does pick and then then ensemble plays out accordingly. You could also consider CURTAINS by the same composer.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 7.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 04-30-2018 10:20

We did Murder in the Knife Room.  Lots of characters.  Kids had a great time. Playscripts.com handles it.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 8.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 04-30-2018 12:08
    I have a stage version of Murder on the Orient Express that is great fun. Let me know if you would like me to send it to you.

Maura Vaughn
    The Branson School
    Ross CA

• 9.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 04-30-2018 20:38
    yes, please

Chris Briante
    Theater Faculty
    The Masters School
    Dobbs Ferry, NY

• 10.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 05-01-2018 10:10
    I'd love to see your script as well Maura!

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 11.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 04-30-2018 16:22
    I second the motion for Playscripts' Murder in the Knife Room.

That was very much a "rebuilding year" for us, and the large cast of typed characters (no names, just designations, like "Spooky Pirate" and "Wealthy Dowager") offered chances for a lot of new students to show us what they could do.

I even devised an audition method that let me see a lot of kids quickly, each in several different characters, without ever reading a word from the actual script!  Since I didn't know a lot of these students, I used a text that gave short biographies of all of the American presidents.  I called each kid up alone, started the first kid with the entry on George Washington, and told him to start reading in his own natural voice.  After I'd gotten a bit of a "take" on him, and began thinking which roles in the play he might be able to handle, I'd call out one of them, telling him to continue reading, only now with the voice and manner of "Plastic Politician" or "Dirty Hippie" or whatever.  I gave each student two to four types besides themselves, forging on from president to president in the biographies so that no two actors read the same text.  I was able to cast all of the parts very well, and I avoided the repetition that can sometimes drive you off-focus during auditions.

There's one joke in the show that requires a blackout, and our 1950s-vintage auditorium has windows, which made a full blackout impossible for our matinee performance.  (Blinds don't block out all light, right?)  We sent the problem to Jonathan Rand, and he rewrote two pages of the script for us, changing the blackout to a momentary curtain, and replacing the blackout joke with a different yet equivalent one about the curtain.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 12.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 05-11-2018 13:39
    My friend wrote me an original murder mystery play. It's called Clueless. We went to state with it in 2012.

Tiffany Wilkie
    Orlando FL

• 13.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 05-12-2018 12:58
    We produced "The Great High School Whodunit" by Mysteries by Moushey.  Easy, easy to put together, large cast opportunities for all skill levels, a interactive clue hunt for the audiences members where the actors walk around in character and help the audience members find clues and create some "red herrings".  She includes a Production Manual and the Clue Hunt Packet.  When the Clue Hunt was complete we offered desserts which were prepared by our culinary school.  
    The Faculty still talks about this event!

Scripts

Kendal Fries
    Arlington TX

• 14.  RE: Large Cast Murder Mystery or Mystery Spoof

Posted 05-15-2018 10:09
    I second Done to Death by Fred Carmichael.  What a fantastic play!  It is a spoof of every genre of murder mystery, and my cast LOVED preparing it and performing it.  
    Thirteen past Midnight by Billy St. John is tons of fun as well, with melodramatic murders and over-the-top characters.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS