Open Forum

View Only

Digital Communication

• 1.  Digital Communication

Posted 08-30-2017 10:21

Hey, Y'all!

I'm looking for an app/digital platform to help with production management such as rehearsal reminders, a place where you can upload and share documents, etc.. I've worked with theatre companies as an actor myself that use VirtualCallboard but it is cost prohibitive for a school program. I've looked at the apps Band and Remind, does anyone have any experience with either of those products?

Many Thanks!

Jess

Jessica Magers-Rankin

Theatre; Fine Arts Dept

Knoxville Catholic High School

• 2.  RE: Digital Communication

Posted 08-30-2017 10:29
    I use Remind exclusively. My problem is that all of my students don't have cell phones or use up all their data and can't be reached.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Digital Communication

Posted 08-30-2017 10:36
    I had the same problems as John. 

I used Remind, our Facebook group, pasteboard announcements, Snapchat, and in one or two cases, hunting particular individuals down who didn't have a Facebook/remind/pacemaker/phone in person. Though I made friends with the student affairs folks and got them to call classes directly for particular students when I was in a time crunch. 

With the proliferation of communication mediums, it seems virtually impossible to have everybody on the same application. Remind tended to work the best for us, as it was text message based. I would find out who didn't have a phone, and then make it their responsibility to find out what was happening by being total besties with someone who checked their phone regularly. 99% of the time that seemed to work. 

Of course, they are teenagers too...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 4.  RE: Digital Communication

Posted 08-31-2017 08:25

Remind is great for quick communication, but Google Classroom is awesome if you are looking for a place to post files, deadlines, announcements, etc. Parents can be invited, or not, and it has a stream, similar to Facebook, where comments can be posted. You can also turn off the comments, and turn off comments for individual students if they are not using it appropriately. 

You can also use it to post Google forms, which collect data (contact info, Tshirt sizes, volunteer dates, etc) into an Excel spreadsheet. It's pretty much magic. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 5.  RE: Digital Communication

Posted 09-01-2017 10:30
    Use BAND!  It's an AMAZING new app.  So so so so easy to use.  You can import your rehearsal calendar and even alert cast members to changes!  I HIGHLY recommend it.  You can set up separate bands.  I have one for each show, one for my Thespian officers, and one for our drama club.

-Lindsay
    Flushing High School, Queens

• 6.  RE: Digital Communication

Posted 08-31-2017 09:14
    We use WhatsApp groups. It's very effective.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Digital Communication

Posted 08-31-2017 09:36
    I use Remind and require all students who participate in my shows (cast, crew or creative) to join. They can sign up to get texts OR emails. I did have 3 kids who cannot receive texts (2 had no phones, one is homeless). All 3 have an email account through school that they can check at our College and Career Center anytime. If something comes up that can't wait until the morning, I will send a paper call slip. These three also know to check in with me at lunch a couple of times a week.

Remind also allows you to attaché files, photos and voice clips.

I posted my callbacks and my crew lists on it last night.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 8.  RE: Digital Communication

Posted 09-01-2017 15:48
    I live for Remind. My students joke about how much I use it and some claim to be annoyed by it, but whenever I ask if it helps, they all say it does.

My students know they have to be on it to travel with me, participate in Thespians, or be involved in a show. They can use it through the website, text, e-mail, the app in whatever combination works for them. We also have a Theatre department, which is easy enough to set up through a myriad of free website programs like wix, wordpress,... and students know to check the website for more information if needed.

Remind is awesome because it's fast and quick and goes straight to their phones. I can send documents, photos, quick information and such that way and it's all documents and stored there, even better they can text me back without actually using my phone number. Works great with parents too. You can even set office hours and change them any time if you don't want to get messages at certain times, weekends,... Plus you can set up reminders to drop at later dates and specific times so I set up in advance for all of the reminders for a whole month about turning in money or dues or paperwork,... You can also message specific students, create group chats, or message just a class or every class. I even give ownership of the one for a show to the student stage manager so that they can send out updates and reminders too. It's safe and educational so my school likes that we use it.

Our website is where the more detailed information goes. I even send Remind messages to say "hey look at the updates on our website to this page: (and link it)"

Hope this helps.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida State Junior Thespians
    District 10 Chair

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 9.  RE: Digital Communication

Posted 09-02-2017 02:12
    Remind supports text now??  When we tried it a couple of years ago it was app based and my kids were freaking out about using too much data.  They all have unlimited texting, but most have limited data that they share with others.  For that reason, we went with Celly which allowed them to use it through the app, texting or computer, making everyone happy.  Unfortunately, they discontinued the texting part so I'm on the hunt for something new.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 10.  RE: Digital Communication

Posted 09-02-2017 07:15

Hi Laura,

When I first started using Remind about 3 years ago, the messages were received as a text message (and I also received a copy of the message I sent as a text, too).  Sometime about a year ago, they changed it and now all messages are received in the App.  I actually liked the old way because when students would reply to my message, that would come to me in the text thread and not in the App and I had a better chance of seeing it sooner.  The update to the App sends and receives everything through the App so I had to turn on the Notifications for it.  I still don't like it because the notifications don't stay up on my locked screen and sometimes I miss the replies.

Might have to check out Band! that someone posted about. :-)

Lynda Gibson
    Troupe 2829
    Jr. Troupe 88305
    Flushing Community Schools
    Flushing, MI

• 11.  RE: Digital Communication

Posted 09-03-2017 12:54
    Remind is text only as well, I use it all the time.  I open up new groups for plays and field trips in addition to classes.   For field trips it's not an option, and I've only ever had one student who couldn't receive messages.  

I've tried other group chats, but they are clunky/hard to moderate.

Richard Fairchild
    Phoenix AZ