Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  the stone table in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Posted 10-03-2017 09:08
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm looking for advice on the best way to build the stone table in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the best way to do it. We'd like it to look like stone (foam?) but we also want it to support weight. I attended a workshop this summer at AATE where they talked about the challenges of building  for this production, but I can't find the handout they gave out at the workshop with contact info. Would love to hear some ideas from you guys.
    Thanks,
    Cherie Ducote Firmin
    Mandeville High School
    Mandeville, LA
    Troupe 1510

• 2.  RE: the stone table in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Posted 10-03-2017 12:35
    A friend of mine suggested making a large wood box on wheels that can lock. Afterwards, then your can add foam on top and around. Build two so then you can make the table (box) split in half. Then it will look like the table and be able to take weight.

------------------------------
    Gwenyth Morris
    Cypress Lake High School
    Estero FL

• 3.  RE: the stone table in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Posted 10-04-2017 11:37
    Years ago we did the show and built a canted platform where the center had three sections that were hinged so that when the table cracked pins were pulled and the center actually collapsed.  It was a little bit of an engineering feat, but once we worked out the kinks it was very impressive.

We covered the sides of the platform with carved blue insulation foam and painted it to look like stone and with the carving of the foam we had a three dimensional look.  We painted the top of the platforms to match the side stone work. Because the entire unit was canted it looked three dimensional after it was painted.

Stewart Hawk
    Garfield Theatre Department Chair
    Washington State Thespian Co-Chapter Director
    206-252-2408
    sthawk@seattleschools.org
    http://www.garfieldstage.org/
    http://washingtonstatethespians.com/

• 4.  RE: the stone table in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Posted 10-04-2017 10:50
    ​I used a rolling platform with two smaller platforms with legs on top. The two smaller platforms are bolted together until the lightning crack that breaks the table. The they are unbolted and turned on their sides. With some strobe lights and heavy thunder sounds, it worked.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 5.  RE: the stone table in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Posted 10-04-2017 13:43
    Consider covering your table with dense blue/pink insulation foam, The foam can be carved to look like stone. Then coat with Quikrete Quikwall Surface Bonding Cement. This will give it a hard stone like finish and help support the weight. The Quikwall can either be troweled on or sprayed on using a concrete hopper with an air compressor. If spraying on, smooth the finish with a trowel. After it has set, paint to resemble a slab of stone. 

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA