Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Posted 12-27-2019 14:46
    Hello - 

I am directing Putnam at a local HS that currently has the rule in place to cast every student who auditions. I have a total cast of 31. This includes 4 additional spellers and then the ensemble who will be playing family members. I am also not double casting. I have assigned each role to a different student. 

I had cast the 4 additional spellers thinking I would no longer have the audience participation piece added. Has anyone ever done Putnam with casting their additional spellers for the audience? If so, how did you do it? Did it still read well? 

Anyone think this is not a good idea?

------------------------------
    Alexis

• 2.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Posted 01-05-2020 08:02
    Hi Alexis,

I considered doing Spelling Bee a few years ago but decided to wait until we had a better fit with actors.  I also need to expand my cast.  There is a past thread on here that I posted about cast expansion that has great recommendations for expansion other than replacing audience spellers.  Search that for ideas.

Laura Russo
    Teacher/Director of Theatre Arts
    School District of The Chathams
    Chatham NJ

• 3.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Posted 01-07-2020 13:11
    The show is insanely funny. Having the audience participation when we did the show was a great part of the production. What you may do is have those four characters come in at the beginning of the show in the audience and have them get "selected." the Audience would be none the wiser. ​

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School