Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Follies

Posted 05-06-2018 15:16
    I am just wondering if anyone out there has been bold enough to try Sondheim's "Follies" with a High School cast.
    Did it work?
    I have always assumed it would be too mature/difficult to get out of teenagers, especially since you have to cast older performers and their younger selves all using only 15-18 year olds. Plus the themes are definitely aimed towards audiences and performers who have lived a bit more of life...
    So I've never attempted it with HS kids.  But every year I choose a show that I am scared of or that i think is too difficult to pull off and I do it any way. So I'm considering this.
    Does anyone have any experience with "Follies" at a high school level? Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Follies

Posted 05-07-2018 08:16
    I did this show in high school. I had a great experience and still love the music. However, it is the only show that I can remember hearing a cross word about from my parents. They remarked that the kids could not really get the feelings they were attempting to portray. Looking back, I think they most definitely had a point. The four mains are going through something that is pretty remote from the young person’s experience. That is actually one of the points of the show. The themes aren’t “mature” because they deal with adultery and material inappropriate for elementary school kids. The show is mature because it deals with the middle-aged angst of looking back at your youth with regret.

As a teacher/director, I wouldn’t touch it now because I think I could explore comparable quality shows for my students while providing a better experience for my audience. Watching high school kids explore four midlife crises would not be my personal cup of tea as an audience member. On the other hand, maybe you could make it work if you really love the piece and have a way of helping students accessing those emotions.