Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ideas for 12 angry men

Posted 05-21-2018 09:41
    I  teach in a secondary technical school and I'm into rehearsals for 12 angry men right now.I haven't found the best way of working on this show.There's more conversation than action and it's difficult to remember every word! I've got an idea about the performance, something like an "open rehearsal" on the stage.The students will be reading and acting every scene.
    All ideas are welcome!

Stavroula Micheli
    Mathematician
    EPAL Xylokastrou
    Greece

------------------------------
    Stavroula Micheli
    Piraeus

• 2.  RE: Ideas for 12 angry men

Posted 05-21-2018 13:31

We did this show a couple years ago and it was really exciting. Many people told us they were surprised by how absorbed they became and that it wasn't boring. Even little kids said they loved it. We created a very small footprint for the jury room skewed on an angle. Then, we built fairly steep risers on three sides of the stage with the outer walls of the 50s jury room behind the on-stage audience, sort of including them in the room. On the two upstage corners cutting through the audience, we placed the entrance door and the bathroom, opposite, so actors walked through them to get to the table. There was just enough space around the long narrow table we built to maneuver. It created a very trapped feeling for the actors and they had to work hard to focus and stay fully in character with audience members so close. Spontaneously, coming back from intermission, I even offered audience members the option of moving seats to any empty seat in the room. Many of them moved so they could gain a fresh vantage point, which was a fun twist they weren't expecting. 

During rehearsals, we did a few really important things: 1) We looked for as many plausible reasons for characters to get up, stretch, go the water cooler or the window, etc. 2) We worked very hard on adult mannerisms, of stripping away all teenage body language and vocal tone. And 3) we were constantly circling the table during rehearsals to get various angles, and tapping actors on the shoulder to indicate they should shift their weight, turn their face, etc. People do this naturally quite often and it is critical when you are working in the round so that no audience member looks at your back for long, and certainly not for a long piece of dialogue. Actors became used to this silent signal and after weeks of it, it became muscle memory. 

I also pushed my actors to commit more and more to their roles, esp Jurors 3, 8, and 10. For Juror 10's meltdown, before every Act 2, I got with her for a moment and told her she needed to push harder into that border of losing control. So many exciting things happened. Chairs fell to the floor, people got right up in each other's faces, a few fists almost connected. Juror 8 even cut his hand on the switchblade one night (the wooded handle, not the blade), and kept going. Another juror went to the bathroom and casually got him a paper towel. It was awesome. 

I could scare up some images or video for you if you like. 

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 3.  RE: Ideas for 12 angry men

Posted 05-21-2018 13:56
    You've got a water cooler, presumably a trash can, and one or two windows, in addition to it being a hot day/room and strangers with 'personal space' issues. Lots of excuses for movement.

That said, it doesn't need much. It's a talky play on purpose, and the story WILL have the audience on the edges of their seats if the actors commit to the story and their roles.

The jurors are twelve very different people. Focus on character work - how the jurors are different from each other, the shifting friendships and alliances. How the characters are different from the actors playing them. 

They are all on stage for the whole show. That is GOLD for training the actors to listen, respond, and behave in character, lines or no lines. Few plays offer that kind of opportunity for stage time and character development.

Demand precision on lines. The play's not long. If you want to do it 'staged reading' style, that's up to you, but I don't think it should be necessary.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: Ideas for 12 angry men

Posted 05-21-2018 15:47

I would push for memorization.  I did this two years ago with middle school (6-8th grade) students and they memorized.  I thought I'd lose what little hair I had left with Juror #8, but he did finally get the job done. 

I agree with all the others' comments about movement.  You can add little moments.

Break a leg!​

Holly Striska
    Theater Teacher
    Berwyn IL

• 5.  RE: Ideas for 12 angry men

Posted 05-22-2018 09:49
    I directed this a couple of years ago.  I wondered the same thing until I decided to do it in the round.  By doing it that way I was able to create "moments" in various locations in the jury room.  With the audience around the actors, it was incredibly more intimate.  I wanted the audience to feel like they were part of the jury.  

Push for memorization - it will really make the flow of the dialogue much more natural.

Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY

• 6.  RE: Ideas for 12 angry men

Posted 05-23-2018 10:29
    Good morning,

I have directed and designed this show a few times. I have always had the audience on the stage with the jury room in the middle. Only three sided to allow for the entrance and exits.

This created a very intimate setting.

I also had the light intensity at 95%. Normally I run at 85% intensity. This made the stage warmer and the audience felt the warmth and the heat of the production.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School