Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Women

Posted 03-30-2020 00:12

I'm considering Little Women for our fall show (if everything goes well). Last year's production of Matilda was a success. I'm looking to build everyone's acting skills (before I came along, the program was run by the vocal teacher; they haven't been taught proper acting skills). I'd love to hear from folks who have done it. Were the students excited by the material? Were you able to add an ensemble? Was the production well-received? 

Best,

Andrea

------------------------------
    Andrea Hart
    Theatre Director

• 2.  RE: Little Women

Posted 03-30-2020 15:37
    I'd advise to specify the adaptation: like A Christmas Carol or Alice in Wonderland, Little Women is in the public domain and there are multiple versions available.

Michael McDonough
    TRW Asst VP Amateur Licensing
    New York

• 3.  RE: Little Women

Posted 03-31-2020 09:16
    I directed the Broadway musical version of Little Women through MTI.  There is also a musical version through TRW.  I really love the music in the show and that strong female roles.  Honestly, this wasn't a favorite show for some of my boys, but it might be more well received now that the Little Women movie came out recently.  The vocal music is quite challenging and you need to make sure you have a strong pit (or buy the performance track).  I did include an ensemble.  The ensemble played the storybook characters rather than doubling in the scenes where Jo tells her story.  They also were in the scene where Jo and Meg go to the party.

Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH