Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Match effect in Triangle

Posted 01-29-2018 10:48
    Hi All!

Has anyone performed the play Triangle and if so, how did you create the match effect on stage, We cannot light matches due to fire safety, but I want to try to recreate the same effect without the actual flame. Interested to see if anyone else has any ideas!

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Laura Beeman Nugent
    Theatre Teacher
    Loyola College Prep Troupe 6829
    Artistic Director
    Shreveport Little Theatre Academy
    Shreveport, LA

• 2.  RE: Match effect in Triangle

Posted 02-03-2018 07:52
    For a brief while, they made LED matches. While they don't sell them anymore, it would be fairly easy to buy some individual red LED lights and then wire one up within a match-like structure (which could literally be just a black pen body cut into segments). Just buy the spare parts and put your science teacher (or, even better, student Science Olympians) on the task!

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 3.  RE: Match effect in Triangle

Posted 02-04-2018 13:41
    I just use match sticks without the head on it. Whatever you are lighting, candle, fire, fireplace is much easier to turn on and there are many terrific fire items for sale in most theatrical sales stores. The audience believes what you tell them to be true. I was in a production of Street Car once and all those characters smoked. Not a single lit cigarette in the room. The actors just had them and didn't light them, just pretended to and smoke them also not lighted. Just using the prop as intended but not really. Some audience members left or were going to leave because they "couldn't take all that cigarette smoke." Illusion is powerful.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas
    Poteet Theatre
    Mesquite, TX