Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mobile Mics

Posted 12-13-2016 08:07
    Hi,
    Recently I took my class to state competition (having won our region). At the competition the other schools all had body mics and their own sound systems. We were definitely out-teched! Can anyone tell me what kind of system you might use that is so mobile?
    Thanks!
    DJ

DJ Queenan
    Director of Fine and Performing Arts
    Drama Teacher
    Savannah Country Day School
    Service through Knowledge and Character
    Follow SCDS on FacebookInstagram & Twitter

• 2.  RE: Mobile Mics

Posted 12-13-2016 20:33

Hi DJ – in most cases, there is nothing special about the set up – they’re using the same mics, body packs and receivers that you probably have in your auditorium, along with a soundboard, then plugging the soundboard into the theater’s sound system, much like you would plug in an Ipod or CD player. There are cases you can buy that are specifically made to hold receivers and a soundboard.

On a side note (and since we’re in the same state) I’m torn over the use of mics. In my five years in GA, I’ve only taken straight plays to the competition (and have been fortunate to get to state three times) and we have sometimes been marked down for projection. I could easily remedy that by using mics, but to me that seems like taking the easy way out – projection is a skill that actors need to know.  I have also seen at the state competition where a musical with serious mic issues was allowed to take the time to fix it and completely start over, with the time starting over as well. I wasn’t about to complain – I think some people can be overly picky about the rules – but it did make me wonder whether I should go with using mics for everyone, regardless of whether mics were needed or not.

And congratulation on advancing to state!

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/