Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  One Act Musicals - Elementary

Posted 03-02-2019 20:32
    Hi, all...

Well, with The Sound of Music almost completed (opening on March 15) for the high school, I am already starting to look for a fun one-act musical for the elementary students to perform next fall.

I am looking for titles to shows for grades 2-5; shows with easy songs, funny characters, and most importantly one in which everyone has their own role. This will be used as an introductory experience for the young'ns to see what it is like to be in a musical. For The Sound of Music, I had 19 elementary students audition for 4 parts (the youngest von Trapp children)...so, I'm guessing there is a big interest in theater and a need to be filled! Exciting!

I would be grateful reading responses recommending titles that fit the above criteria.

Thank you!!
    We hope to have many 'broken legs' in a couple weeks ;)

------------------------------
    Thomas Boys
    Musical Director/Drama Club Sponsor
    Argos Jr/Sr High School
    Argos, Indiana USA
    tboys@argos.k12.in.us

• 2.  RE: One Act Musicals - Elementary

Posted 03-03-2019 09:50
    Have you looked at the KIDS musicals in MTIs website?  They are all about 30 minutes long and come with guide vocal and accompaniment tracks.  There are several Magic Treehouse shows and other ones that tie into what they are reading at that age (Pirates Past Noon is a fun one)- or if you are looking to draw kids in there are Disney options.  The show kits also come with a Choreo DVD and a binder with directing ideas if you are thin on help.

Deanne Stokes
    Two Rivers WI

• 3.  RE: One Act Musicals - Elementary

Posted 03-04-2019 09:58
    For easy to do but not awful to watch shows BeatbyBeat Press  has a good selection and their backing tracks don't sound cheesy at all.  Another favorite of mine is Law and Order C-rhyme and Pun-ishment from Pioneer which has a really fun story, lots of great characters and the backing tracks are good.  It might be a tiny bit more ambitious for a first time group of kids than the Beat by Beat shows.  Another place to find good (or at least lots) options is to search "leavers musicals".  I guess in Britain it is pretty standard to have a whole class perform a musical and some of them are pretty good.

Penelope Haskew
    Youth and Family Program Director
    San Juan Comunity Theatre
    Friday Harbor WA

• 4.  RE: One Act Musicals - Elementary

Posted 03-03-2019 11:58
    The Point

--
    Have a great day!

Lynn