Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Christmas Carol Staged Reading Script

Posted 10-03-2018 22:54
    I have searched the forums for this answer before posting this and haven't found it, so here goes:

The faculty at my school would like to do a staged reading of the Christmas Carol. I am in search of a version that is super close, if not, THE original Dickens prose. Preferably a script that has just the prose split up among characters much like a performance script. I know they exist. At least I hope they do.

I'm not looking for an adaptation, and am not looking for a performance script. I'm looking for a version of the book that is organized for a multiple person staged reading. 

I hope that makes sense. Anyone have anything??

------------------------------
    Dan Dobrovich
    Director of Theatre - Cranbrook Schools, Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Board of Directors - Michigan Educational Theatre Association
    Troupe Director - ITS Troupe #4777

• 2.  RE: Christmas Carol Staged Reading Script

Posted 10-04-2018 09:12
    I know of one that is shortened a bit but uses Dicken's text almost completely. It's written as a one-man show with the actor doing all of the voices, but it can easily be done by 4 actors by splitting up the lines. It runs about 60 minutes. It's called The Concise Christmas Carol and the writer is D. D. Delaney<g class="gr_ gr_760 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style replaceWithoutSep" id="760" data-gr-id="760">.If</g> you're interested and can't find it, let me know.

Jean Klein
    [Playwright/Founder HaveScripts/BlueMoonPlays]
    Virginia Beach VA

• 3.  RE: Christmas Carol Staged Reading Script

Posted 10-04-2018 13:44
    Dan, I would be happy to send you the script I adapted from Dickens' A Christmas Carol.  The text is almost entirely from the book.  I do it as a fully staged production, but I think it would work as a staged reading.  

CJ

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 4.  RE: Christmas Carol Staged Reading Script

Posted 10-04-2018 13:49
    I should add that the first version I adapted was for a readers' theatre production.  It was super fun for the students to  rattle chains, make the wind and moaning sounds, stomping as people in the street, etc.

cjbreland@gmail.com

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Christmas Carol Staged Reading Script

Posted 10-05-2018 09:47
    I am also interested, CJ.
    Thanks so much!

--
    Maria Madonis Palassis
    Oak Hills High School
    Director of Orchestras
    Director of Thespian Troupe 1256 Productions
    Drama Club Advisor
    Vocal Music Teacher: UnCommon Time,
    Treble Choir
    Musical Theatre Ensemble
    Piano Teacher
    Key Club Advisor

• 6.  RE: Christmas Carol Staged Reading Script

Posted 10-04-2018 09:32
    It sounds like it might fit your need to simply do a 100% pure reading by using the text itself. Cast the roles based on the dialogue, and assign one or more narrators for the non-dialogue sections.

If you wanted it to be formatted like a script, it would be the work of only couple of hours to find the text online and chunk it out in a Word document.

It may be that this has already been done by someone, and one of our colleagues on this board has it or knows where to find it. If not, though, it might be a fun project to take on, maybe even assign to your students.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 7.  RE: Christmas Carol Staged Reading Script

Posted 10-04-2018 14:33
    Dan,

I have a version that I adapted from a version that Dickens edited himself for readings of the play that he did after the play was published. It would certainly work well as a group reader's theatre.

It takes a story theatre approach using the actors as narrators and the addition of Dickens as a narrator. It is designed to have a flexible cast size with as few as 10 adults and four children.

If you would like to peruse a copy contact me at jvanleishout@gmail.com.

God bless us, everyone!

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 8.  RE: Christmas Carol Staged Reading Script

Posted 10-05-2018 12:22
    I am interested in ALL of this please!! :) 

I was planning on sitting down with the text, but figured if someone else had already done it, why reinvent the wheel.

Please email me whatever you have please! ddobrovich@cranbrook.edu

Much love! Thank you!

Dan Dobrovich
    Director of Theatre - Cranbrook Schools, Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Board of Directors - Michigan Educational Theatre Association
    Troupe Director - ITS Troupe #4777